Let's encrypt on a multi-node cluster

holr

Jan 4, 2019
Hello,
I have been following the instructions at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Certificate_Management on a 5 node Proxmox cluster. Let's encrypt (using ACME) was used on the first node, PVE1, with great success. Accessing the server shows a valid certificate. Accessing VMs on PVE1 via noVNC and SPICE work.

If I access a VM hosted on one of the other servers (PVE2, PVE3, PVE4, PVE5), noVNC works. Unfortunately, SPICE (via remote-viewer) does not (it used to previously, with the default self-signed certs). The error that now appears in the console is:

(remote-viewer:6410): Spice-WARNING **: 00:19:17.047: ssl_verify.c:479:eek:penssl_verify: Error in server certificate verification: unable to get local issuer certificate (num=20:depth0:/OU=PVE Cluster Node/O=Proxmox Virtual Environment/CN=pve2.xxxx.local)

(remote-viewer:6410): GSpice-WARNING **: 00:19:17.048: main-1:0: SSL_connect: error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)

As the error suggests, I think this is because nodes PVE2-PVE5 do not have the Let's Encrypt certificates.

I am a little unclear on what to copy from PVE1 to PVE2-PVE5 to fix the certificate issue to get SPICE working again.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Certificate_Management mentions "For options 2 and 3 the file /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.pem (and /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.key, which needs to be without password) is used."

Does this mean I must copy, from PVE1, /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.pem and /etc/pve/local/pveproxy-ssl.key to the same location (/etc/pve/local) on each of PVE2-PVE5 to install the Let's encrypt certs across the cluster?

Thank you!

spice does not use the pveproxy certificate, but the regular PVE generated self-signed certificate in /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem, with the CA in /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem. did you touch either of those files?

Code:
openssl verify -CAfile /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem

should print

Code:
/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem: OK

Reactions: holr
====
*UPDATE*
I restored the backups of the pve-ssl.pem and pve-root-ca.pem on PVE1, which had the knock on effect of synching the correct pve-root-ca.pem across the cluster. All nodes now report OK after running
Code:

SPICE works again on PVE2-PVE5 (I confirmed by running a vm with SPICE from each server), but now SPICE has stopped working on PVE1! I cannot start a VM that has SPICE enabled, I receive the error:
Code:
kvm: warning: Spice: reds.c:2956:reds_init_ssl: Could not use private key file
kvm: failed to initialize spice server
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

I tried restarting spiceproxy with

Code:
spiceproxy restart

but this didn't clear things. Any thoughts?

====
Thank you Fabian,
I ran
on each of the nodes.
It returned OK on PVE1, but VERIFICATION FAILED on PVE2-PVE5.

In the process of adding let's encrypt, I must have messed something up! Could you please suggest what I should do to fix it? Do I copy the /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem and /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem from PVE1 to each of the other nodes?

Thank you!

Last edited:
@holr please verify your cluster is actually in-sync and quorate. it sounds like pve-ssl.key got messed up on PVE1, you can regenerate it by deleting pve-ssl.pem and pve-ssl.key on PVE1, then running pvecm updatecerts on it.

Reactions: holr
Thank you for the hint fabian,
I restored our archived pve-ssl.key file and et voila! SPICE is working again. Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!