learning and recovering previous proxmox install

iPanini

Mar 30, 2019
Hi folks,
A couple of years ago I engaged in my Proxmox adventure.. I'm not a linux tech, but I can find my way around (with help of a lot of searching..) At the time I set up my first Proxmox machine, then later, not sure why, but I guess mostly for learning purposes I added a second machine. This all must have been around 2019.
Fast forward to today, we survived covid, have moved houses and in the process a lot of projects had to be put on hold. So my Proxmox adventure had to be put on hold.

Today, I have fired up my old Proxmox server once again, it is running version 5.3-5, only to find that the machine had been stripped, not sure from what, at least a couple of harddrives and maybe also a network interface.

Anyway, after some digging and searching the machine is up and running again.
I have a couple of disparate screenshots from back then, so every once and a while I can check something or retrace something.

I do remember that I wanted to set up my server using 3x 8TB harddrives, and I also do remember that I was surprised at how little storage I got in return, not being familiar with LVM2.

My question:
I have my PVE up and running and accessible, so that is a good thing to start with.
At the time it appears I had set up the two machines in a cluster (I think it happened automatically, not sure). Only a single machine is available. So I have disabled cluster (removed corosync.conf as I found on the forum).
From the 3 harddrives, 1 is active, and I have found a 2nd one back. After adding the 2nd drive to the PVE, it is visible but not used (not mounted)
=> Is Proxmox capable of reconsructing / recovering the LVM?
=> How can I work out the size of my storage in conjunction to LVM?
=> Are there other drive arrangements possible apart from LVM?

Thanks for helping out!Picture.png

Last edited:
=> Is Proxmox capable of reconsructing / recovering the LVM?
LVM is normally used to do raid0 of disks, so if a drive is missing, you lost everything on that drive, possibly more.

In order to inspect your system, run the following commands and post their output in CODE tags:

• cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
  • vgs
  • pvs

LVM is normally used to do raid0 of disks, so if a drive is missing, you lost everything on that drive, possibly more.

In order to inspect your system, run the following commands and post their output in CODE tags:

• cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
  • vgs
  • pvs
Code:
root@pve:/home/erwin# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

dir: files
    path /mnt/files
    content images
    shared 1

dir: iso
    path /storage/share/iso
    content images,iso
    shared 0

iscsi: DS1
    portal 192.168.1.87
    target iqn.2000-01.com.synology:DS1.Target-12.4bdbbe4b7d
    content images

root@pve:/home/erwin#

Code:
root@pve:/home/erwin# vgs
  Couldn't find device with uuid p4CeJd-0g09-0TAK-9Aum-9faq-ESlN-wXj2La.
  Couldn't find device with uuid RkdR5H-v5jk-2vHQ-RbtP-fx56-Xtgc-rTIjwK.
  VG  #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  pve   3  11   0 wz-pn- 21.83t 14.57t

Code:
root@pve:/home/erwin# pvs
  PV         VG  Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
  /dev/sdb3  pve lvm2 a--  7.28t 16.00g
  [unknown]  pve lvm2 a-m  7.28t  7.28t

Thanks for helping out!

that drive with the grey mark is a ISCSI
you didnt mention, so i guess you didnt connect it

portal 192.168.1.87
content images

to start to fix your install: make sure you connect your iscsi (if still exist) or remove it.

that drive with the grey mark is a ISCSI
you didnt mention, so i guess you didnt connect it

portal 192.168.1.87
content images

to start to fix your install: make sure you connect your iscsi (if still exist) or remove it.
Correct, I forgot about the ISCSI connection. I did an experiment with that at the time.
I've removed the ISCSI connection from both Proxmox PVE and the Synology DS1.

Thanks for sticking with me and helping out!

Picture-71.png

Code:
root@pve:/home/erwin# pvs
PV         VG  Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sdb3  pve lvm2 a--  7.28t 16.00g

So, the two disks are missing, that's not good. Now please the output of lvs.

So, the two disks are missing, that's not good. Now please the output of lvs.
Code:
root@pve:/home/erwin# lvs
  LV            VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data          pve twi-aotzD-  7.13t             100.00 23.17                           
  root          pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g                                                   
  swap          pve -wi-ao----  8.00g                                                   
  vm-102-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 16.00g data        0.00                                   
  vm-102-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz--  4.00m data        100.00                                 
  vm-103-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 16.00g data        0.00                                   
  vm-103-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz--  4.00m data        100.00                                 
  vm-106-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 16.00g data        9.28                                   
  vm-106-disk-1 pve Vwi-aotz--  4.00m data        100.00                                 
  vm-106-disk-2 pve Vwi-aotz--  4.88t data        97.85                                 
  vm-106-disk-3 pve Vwi-aotz--  4.88t data        48.11                                 

Here you go..
Thanks for helping out!

So, the disks may all be there. There are 3 VMs there with thin provisioned disks, that may be intact.

Have you another disk on which you can copy the files to?

That should be doable.
I have been searching for the original disks. (by serial) And I did find disk two of three, so one is still missing. Disk #2 is present in PVE, but not mounted. Can we use that one?
Or would you prefer a usb drive?
How would you suggest to connect it?
A third way would be to copy / save to another machine on the network. I have a NAS on the network.

As a first test, you can just read the images and see if you get any error message:

Code:
dd bs=1M of=/dev/null status=progress if=/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0

Run that for every vm-disk.

As a first test, you can just read the images and see if you get any error message:

Code:
dd bs=1M of=/dev/null status=progress if=/dev/pve/vm-102-disk-0

Run that for every vm-disk.
Sorry I have not been able to reply any sooner.
I found some loose harddrives that I suspect have been member of my 2nd PVE machine. Quickly connected to macOS using a usb dock showed the drives as unreadable. This does not suprise me. On top of that I started using a new 2nd hand macbook only 10 days ago, so that machine is still missing a lot of tools that I gathered over time, but are missing on the new machine. Amongst others tools to mount NTFS and linux filesystems.

Will report back in short notice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!