Layout for PMG, Exchange and Active Sync

larsen

Feb 28, 2020
Hello,

we are currently running a local Exchange installation. Mail is fetched via Popcon (so there is an annoying delay when receiving mails). Active Sync is possible through Port Forwarding on our firewall to the Exchange host (access is restricted to our VPN and some IP ranges of carriers for mobile access).

Of course, not the setup you would want to use today. I plan on using PMG and making it possible to instantly receive mails.

I don't have much experience in this field. What would be the best way to configure things to have mails delivered directly to PMG and still be able to use Active Sync on Exchange?

Code:
Firewall
 |
 |---  DMZ (Orange)
 |     |
 |     |----- PMG
 |     |----- Exchange
 |
 |- Switch (Green)
        |----- local network

- PMG would use the external ports 25, etc.
- PMG would forward mails to Exchange
- Exchange would use the external ports for Active Sync
- Outlook-clients would connect to Exchange from Green into the DMZ
- There would be no traffic from DMZ into Green

Is this feasible?

Last edited:
After some more reading I learnt that it would be a bad idea to put an Exchange server into the DMZ (as it needs a connection to the DC (amongst others)).

So, will have to find out how to proxy Active Sync. Anyone using this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!