Last Provxmox VE version not requiring UEFI

tudi

Feb 13, 2020
Hi All,
I have a laptop which does not support UEFI, although having CPU with 8 threads.
Install 6.1 in Buster was not successful, could you please advise what is the last version that still could boot without UEFI so I can start installing from it and upgrade up?
Thank you

PVE does not need uefi, what exact problems/errors did you encounter?

My steps are:
a. downloaded Proxmox ISO for 6.1 from https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads
b. created USB boot stick from MX Linux (most probably a dd)
c. try to boot from created stick in XPS L702
d. results in "operating system not found"

The laptop has Debian Buster which I installed yesterday from a Debian ISO, using MX Linux USB maker (same flow).

fromProxmox.png
No experience on these things, but shouldn't we have another entry for 64bits like we have for i386?

no this is handled by the i386-pc loader

I installed from DVD. System installed 6.1 but did not boot.
On fdisk it is showing a EFI partition.
Therefore I have to disagree with you. Proxmox VE 6.1 supports only UEFI.

In what mode is the BIOS? Does it have a strict BIOS, legacy, non UEFI mode?

the BIOS on my XPS L702x does not support UEFI.
I am now trying to install from Buster on a Proxmox VM on another machine. Due to having it in Proxmox I will be able to send you messages if it does not work.
If the installation in VM with Buster 10.2 is successful, I will perform same on the laptop.
thank you

Last edited:
Installation in VM was successful. On laptop it was not. I have below error:
Code:
/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 1713.
Any ideas?

Is it possible that the disk you are trying to use has been used anywhere else?
An EFI-partition can be a left-over, causing you now trouble. Upon my experience the first EFI partition is sometimes hard to get rid off - for whatever reason.
You can try to do a DD from a live-DVD onto your disk from /dev/null to the disk itself - maybe that helps.
My system does not support EFI at all, and I have recently installed/upgraded Proxmox to the current release.

the installer creates an EFI partition to allow switching to UEFI later on without re-installing. that does not mean that it requires UEFI support..

Reactions: apoc
Hi, I encuonter this issue too. I my case, I have to add "vga=normal" into boot menual kernel line, otherwise the installation will fail to initilize. And I found I can only initilize the installation when BIOS using Legacy model, If BIOS using UEFI model, installation also fail to initilize even I modify the kernel line. However, even I installed successfully(I am using ZFS RAID1 with two 8TB disks), my server still failed to boot, it seems can not find the boot harddisk at all, I must change the BIOS to UEFI model, then my server can boot from disk, but then Proxmox boot stuck at (initramfs):

Attachments

• pve-installation-v6.x-bios-leagcy-initramfs.png
    pve-installation-v6.x-bios-leagcy-initramfs.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 28

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!