LAN (and Public) network + VM for firewall

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
Howto setup my LAN adapters for either of these 3 approaches

Promox does an incredible job with providing documentation. Martin, is clear in everything he has shared in the videos for our benefit. Much of it I have viewed. But, I need help in applying which of the information sources applies to which situation of my visual, physical issues I want to understand.

So this thread, is an appeal to this community for accurate guidance (and patience) with either of the 3 following information needs:
"1. discussion, 2. directions or 3. ‘pointers to directions' "
for doing the following.

There are 2 primary ways to setup a VM host’s network. The host can be setup to
  1. run a Private LAN and to be the control point (gateway) for physical LAN operations
  2. allow your Ethernet adapter to be shared by all internal subsystems (including the Host and all Virtual Machines)

The implications of the 2 above items are as follows
  • Method 2 requires that the LAN adapter connected to the physical DHCP router, be set to Bridged mode so that all VM’s can see and utilize the adapter, directly, for local LAN services.
  • Method 1 requires that the LAN adapter connected to the physical DHCP router, be controlled by the Host. And the host will provide virtual services to the VMs in such a way that the host manages the connections that the VMs think are physical.

On the physical PC, I have 2 physical LAN adapters on the motherboard. I would like to understand how to setup, using Promox’s host tools, to accomplish each of these 2 methods. And I want to begin my understanding by utilizing ONLY the one adapter connected to the DHCP router as follows:

Single LAN adapter mode usage
I would like to start with Method 2, above, to setup Promox as if there is ONLY 1 LAN adapter that is a shared path to the local LAN. by all subsystems running; host or virtual-machine(s). Another way of asking on Method 2
  1. "is the OOTB Proxmox bridge operational so that all VMs can get a DHCP service for IP credentials from the router on the local LAN?
  2. If so, are there any additional steps that need be executed so that the booting VM ISO can see and get DHCP service directly from that router?"

Next, after the above is managed, I would like to do Method 1 where the host becomes the gateway for the VMs to the LAN, such that it owns the physical adapter and the VMs must pass-through the Gateway for any downstream LAN services. (I fully recognize the hosts implementations to this approach for it must become the internal physical system’s LAN manager [private LAN])

Dual LAN adapter mode usage
Understanding the above, I would like to bundle the LAN adapters together in such a way as to increase effective bandwidth to the physical LAN for both methods 1 and 2 above.

I want to do this in stages such that any Promox community member can follow the steps should they, too, want to do ANY of the 3 items mentioned above.

I see that someone also has asked a question in this forum which has similar implications

Please freely contribute to any guidance that you can offer. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Maybe asking this a little differently might provide solutions:
Is there a document that shares
Howto setup a Proxmox VM such that it see the "real" physical network thru the host's LAN adapter without host acting as a G/W?

I want the VM to get his IP functionality directly from the DHCP host on my real local area network.

Thanks in advance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!