[SOLVED] LACP bond at installation stage

fahadshery

Feb 13, 2021
Hi,

I have more than 6 NICS in my server. Is there a possibility to create LINUX BOND for LACP at the installation stage or add it after the installation for vmbr0?
I tried but it says the default gateway already exists on vmbr0.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Cheers,

I think only after installation.
You can always edit your "/etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/resolv.conf" and "/etc/hosts" and do everything you want.
But GUI should work too. But you might need to delete some interfaces first and recreate them. Best you verify that you got physical console or webKVM access to that server in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I think only after installation.
You can always edit your "/etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/resolv.conf" and "/etc/hosts" and do everything you want.
But GUI should work too. But you might need to delete some interfaces first and recreate them. Best you verify that you got physical console or webKVM access to that server in case something goes wrong.
You were right, I could do it after installation. Since my one NIC was on the "main network" and if you want to create LACP for this "main network", you need to have access to the proxmox via iDRAC/IPMI or similar means because you will loose connectivity during the process via the IP interface.
I needed two Linux bonds (total for NICS). One for Upstream Internet connection and the other one was for internal VMs traffic.

1. Start with the Bond0 for the internal VMs traffic and assign two NIC ports to it. (because you can simply copy it's configuration and create a Bond1 for the main interface)
  2. Create a LAG on the switch
  3. Edit /etc/network/interfaces using vi/nano and copy the Bond0 lines and edit to to Bond1 and replace the NIC ports names
  4. Restart Proxmox (You can reload Network settings as well but I just did a reboot)

That was it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!