[SOLVED] Kvm migration fails with "Installed QEMU version 7.1.0 is too old to run machine type pc-i440fx-7.2+pve0" error

edtrumbull

Jun 24, 2022
My cluster is running 7.3.6, soon to upgrade to 7.4.3.
The error message is very clear, and I have no problem with the error in general -- upgrade the cluster and it'll be fixed.
I set all VMs machine type to kvm64, which I understood is the most generic and portable machine type available (and also the default setting). Why, then, is migration complaining about a machine type which I didn't think was configured on the vm being migrated in the first place?

Hi,

I think you may be mixing up “Machine Type” and “CPU/Processor Type”. In this case the issue isn't the processor type, but the machine type's QEMU version. “ pc-i440fx-7.2” means that you are using the Intel 440FX chipset [1] and the QEMU machine version 7.2. Both can be adjusted in a VMs “Hardware” Tab under machine type, however, the QEMU version is hidden in the advanced options. The latter is your problem here. If this is a Linux VM, the default here is “Latest”. You could try to downgrade that to “7.1” and see if that resolves your issue. The manual has some more information on this [2].

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_440FX
[2]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#qm_system_settings

Could you mark this thread as solved so that others with the same problem find this thread more easily? Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!