kvm disk i/o nfs share

natxo

May 17, 2008
hi,

I have a ml 110 g5 (cheapo proliant server) home with an areca ARC-1210 sata raid controller and 3 sata disks in a raid 5. The disks are 500 GB, 2 SAMSUNG HD502IJ and 1 Hitachi HDP725050GLA36. All are SATA-300. All disks have a 16MB cache and spin at 7200 rpm.

I have a home network with quite an expanded virtual network. One of the vm's is the filer and I export the homedirs through nfs. The vm disks are raw files on the filesystem of the standard proxmox installation. This works pretty well most of the time, except when I do some intensive disk i/o work like burning a dvd from the physical computer with home share on the vm. If I do that, the vm's load rises but not spectacularly (20%) but if I also have a firefox session on the workstation then firefox freezes because its profile is also in the homedir mounted from nfs. Once the burning is done, then it all goes back to normal and it works as it should.

This happens as well when unrarring big files on the vm. Obviously the disks are no speed demons, I am aware of that, but I wonder if there is a way of mitigating this behavior. I am trying now the async option to the exports file in the nfs server, but maybe one of you guys has a better suggestion?

It would be great if during the installation we could create empty lvm logical volumes and assign those 'partitions' to the vm's. I have tested at work with the competion (virtual manager + kvm in centos) and that works really nice. It would be nice to have in proxmox.

hi,

I have a ml 110 g5 (cheapo proliant server) home with an areca ARC-1210 sata raid controller and 3 sata disks in a raid 5. The disks are 500 GB, 2 SAMSUNG HD502IJ and 1 Hitachi HDP725050GLA36. All are SATA-300. All disks have a 16MB cache and spin at 7200 rpm.

I have a home network with quite an expanded virtual network. One of the vm's is the filer and I export the homedirs through nfs. The vm disks are raw files on the filesystem of the standard proxmox installation. This works pretty well most of the time, except when I do some intensive disk i/o work like burning a dvd from the physical computer with home share on the vm. If I do that, the vm's load rises but not spectacularly (20%) but if I also have a firefox session on the workstation then firefox freezes because its profile is also in the homedir mounted from nfs. Once the burning is done, then it all goes back to normal and it works as it should.

This happens as well when unrarring big files on the vm. Obviously the disks are no speed demons, I am aware of that, but I wonder if there is a way of mitigating this behavior. I am trying now the async option to the exports file in the nfs server, but maybe one of you guys has a better suggestion?

It would be great if during the installation we could create empty lvm logical volumes and assign those 'partitions' to the vm's. I have tested at work with the competion (virtual manager + kvm in centos) and that works really nice. It would be nice to have in proxmox.

yes, we are working already on the flexible storage model, see roadmap.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!