KVM and .18 kernel

SamTzu

Renowned Member
:) I was moving KVM VM's to a new Proxmox and run in to a snag.
Proxmox 1.5 could not get the command below to work.
I browsed around the net and realised it's the lack of KVM SCSI support in .18 kernel.
All I had to do to get the VM to start was to replace if=scsi to if=ide and voila.
Manually copy pasting the edited command on the host started the VM.

/usr/bin/kvm -monitor unix:/var/run/qemu-server/119.mon,server,nowait -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/119.vnc,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/119.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name server.internet-content.net -smp 2 -vga cirrus -tdf -k fi -drive file=,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/119/vm-119-disk.qcow2,if=scsi,index=0,boot=on -m 512 -net tap,vlan=1,ifname=vmtab119i1,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan -net nic,vlan=1,model=rtl8139,macaddr=A2:2A:34:96:93:B0 -id 119 -cpuunits 1000

Last edited:
fyi, Proxmox Kernel 2.6.24 support OpenVZ since the first beta release, V 0.9.

New to Proxmox & just setting up a few servers I normally run with vmware server. Should I install the 2.6.24 kernel ? is it regarded as stable with Proxmox ?
or stick with the ProxmoxVE 1.5 standard install kernel 2.6.18 ?
I intend to use both OpenVZ & KVM

Thanks
Garry

PS The other day in the office I needed a running winxp, so as easy as 1 2 3 Proxmox KVM & installed winxppro via .iso and done! I'm sure it leaves vmware server for dead :cool:

2.6.18 contains the stable OpenVZ. 2.6.24 contains the newest KVM (and a quite usable OpenVZ)

So it just depends what you need, if you are happy with your 2.6.18, keep it.

2.6.18 contains the stable OpenVZ. 2.6.24 contains the newest KVM (and a quite usable OpenVZ)

So it just depends what you need, if you are happy with your 2.6.18, keep it.

Thanks for the reply Tom,
hmm 'a quite usable OpenVZ' so not as usable as .18 ?

the 2.6.18 (RHEL5) OpenVZ kernel is the only stable and feature complete branch.

see http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel

this does not mean that the others are not usable, but they are not marked as "stable" from the OpenVZ developers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!