KVM 3d Acceleration

Gund4m

Jan 21, 2016
Hi all, is there a way to get graphics 3d acceleration on Windows 7 Guest machine?

i followed this tutorial for install the guest vm.

Thanks in advance for the response

Hi all, is there a way to get graphics 3d acceleration on Windows 7 Guest machine?

i followed this tutorial for install the guest vm.

Thanks in advance for the response

do you want 3D acceleration in spice (for remote), or do you want pci passthrough your vga card (for local) ?

for spice, it's not yet available in proxmox. we need to add support for virtio-gpu and other 3d stuff. (and I think that only recent linux guest support it, not yet windows guests)

do you want 3D acceleration in spice (for remote), or do you want pci passthrough your vga card (for local) ?

for spice, it's not yet available in proxmox. we need to add support for virtio-gpu and other 3d stuff. (and I think that only recent linux guest support it, not yet windows guests)
We want to see 3D in SPICE (not local), we can use pci passthrough. Is it possbile in PVE 5.1?

Thanks.

Hi,

Only pcie passthrough is possible.

Correct, only local.

May I ask what's the status of this?

In particular, is it possible now (June 2021) to use 3D acceleration in a Linux guest using Spice connecting from a remote computer (on LAN)? If so, can you please point me to the right doc/resource?

I try to use a Linux VM, connect remotely and even Chrome is sluggish due to the eyecandy it is doing.

I'm also curious. It would solve the problem running virtual Linux Mint with Cinnamon, which complains that "your system is currently running without video hardware acceleration". Searching the web explained this means there is no 3D acceleration, which apparently is possible to enable in VirtualBox through "Guest Additions" (the article is from 2013), but not yet in Proxmox?

Last edited:
Ha! After over 20 hours playing with virtually all settings in Proxmox including PCI passthrough I found why my guests where laggy!!!

3D acceleration disabled in Proxmox.

To test this I simply unchecked 3D accel setting in VirtualBox when installed in Linux host on that same physical machine I use Proxmox (Proxmox is on another HD) and I have very very similar laggy performances than when I run my guests in Proxmox!

I need 3D accel in SPICE, what can we do?
I'll continue googling, cuz without this I cannot use Proxmox. :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!