KVM 1.1 and new Kernel

I change grub config file and set kernel 2.6.32-11 as default and wait for next release. It's possible to reinstall kernel 2.6.32-12 - was removed during the update.
If it is possible to run -12, why did you switch back to -11 ?

How does this effect support for the Spice Protocol? Can spice be used with KVM 1.1, is Spice not part of that package?

The correct syntax of the phrase I think should be:
"Is it possible to reinstall kernel 2.6.32-12? - was removed during the update so I had to go back to -11"
Btw, really a kernel upgrade should never ever remove previous version. In any case the .deb should still be in /var/cache/apt/archives
(# ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/ | grep kernel)

I don't recall the details, but I'm pretty sure that sometime with aptitude full-upgrade you are notified that some packages will be removed (older version), including the kernel, and I always hit "y", don't know if you hit "n" it retains them or just aborts the upgrade. Next time I see this I will try to take note of more info, seems strange did not happened to you too, but don't think I can have any settings that can affect this (I've not customized apt behaviour).

It happend today in a 1.9 proxmox, so I report it back here since I think is a common issue with debian or with proxmox kernel package name/release (I've no idea) and not related to proxmox version.
Code:
proxmox:~# LANG=C aptitude -d full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information      
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done  
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  pve-kernel-2.6.32-7-pve{a} 
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve{u} 
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common base-files libapr1 libpq5 libssl0.9.8 libxml2 openssl proxmox-ve-2.6.32 pve-firmware 
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  xml-core 
12 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/48.8MB of archives. After unpacking 16.4kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] ^C
proxmox:~#
as you can see, kernel pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve is going to be removed!
Just for record, the current version of the system is the following:
Code:
proxmox:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-55
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-55
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Best regards

yes, and you get told that it is removed. I do not see any problem here.

if you want to keep the old kernel, do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!