Keyboard Layout not fully working on VNC console

oban

Dec 15, 2010
Hi,
I'm running several windows server 2008 guests under proxmox ve 1.7. My regional settings are Switzerland french. I have set the keyboard layout accordingly to my country, that is Swiss-french in the web interface (under System-Option) but kept the language to English because my WS2008 server is installed in EN. Of course the regional settings in the guest are also configured for my country.

Now when I open a VNC console to work with my WS2008 server, I have the correct "QWERTZ" layout but I'm not able to get special characters under the right key or sequence of keys. Example:

under Swiss-French layout:
"@" character : "Alt Gr" + "2"
"#" character : "Alt Gr" + "3"
"é" character : direct key right to the "L" key

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks
oban

I get the following output :

s-host01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-28
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

can you test the latest stable packages? just update.

No, it doesn't work better. (Same wrong characters displayed for the same key sequence as before update)
Just to make sure I use the latest stable package : (I did a apt-get update + upgrade)

s-host01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
qemu-server: 1.1-28
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

oban

Yes, I have stopped all the vm, applied the apt-get update & upgrade, rebooted the host, and finally restarted the vm.

This is very strange because I have the correct key layout for normal letter, that is for instance, a french keyboard has the letter "m" located differently and a US keyboard has the "z" & "y" letter swapped compared to the swiss french layout. So, the differences are for the special characters only.

Example, when I press :

Shift + "1" => "!" displayed (key code 192) , must be "+"
Shift + "2" => """ is correct (key code 50)
Shift + "3" => "!" again, must be "*"
Shift + "4" => "" no character is displayed (Key code 255), must be "ç"
Shift + "5-0" => are correct

On my Desktop, I'm running Kubuntu as host and Windowx XP as Virtualbox VM. Either Firefox (desktop host) or Internet Explorer (desktop vm) give the same issue.

The proxmox host server has the correct keyboard layout.

oban

I can confirm the issue - but it looks like there is no fast fix available - I filed a bug here.

Yes, oban I am 100% agree with you. I also got same result. There are no any difference for its outputs. Its first and fifth and eighth columns are showing error in twice time, if it solved than share it soon.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!