Kernel Upgrade Help

stnd

Nov 28, 2021
I want to upgrade my kernel to pve-kernel-6.1.0-1-pve, but I would really like to understand a couple of things before I attempt this.
  • Difference between certain commands
  • Installing new kernel
  • Testing new Kernel, Permanently Changing to New Kernel
  • Reverting to previous version kernel
My host storage is ZFS on mirrored drives, and uses the sytemd-boot bootloader. Intel i5-12500 with an iGPU UHD770.

Understanding Commands
I would like to confirm whether these two commands do the same thing. So far I have only used the first one after following procedures to passthrough my dedicated GPU. Which included enabling iommu, blacklisting drivers, and configuring vfio.
  • update-initramfs -u -k all
  • proxmox-boot-tool refresh
Installilng new kernel
What do I need to do to just install a new kernel without configuring the system to use it.

In the Opt in threads the instructions are:
  • apt update
  • apt install pve-kernel-6.1
  • reboot
In my case I would like to specifically install pve-kernel-6.1.0-1-pve. Do I need to install the associated pve-headers?

What commands should I be running.
  • apt update
  • apt install pve-kernel-6.1.0-1-pve
  • apt install-pve-headers-6.1.0-1-pve
Do i need to reboot at this point?

Testing new Kernel, Permanently Changing to New Kernel
From reading it seems I should be using proxmox-boot-tool kernel after installing the new kernel.

I am not able to determine how the automatically selected kernels make it to the list when running proxmox-boot-tool kernel list. Will my above installed kernel be on the automatic list or will I have to add it manually?

Do I then PIN the new kernel and pass teh --next-boot argument so it's only for the next boot?
How do I make the change permanent?

Do I need to update the /etc/kernel/cmdline file for every kernel, or does it apply to which ever kernel is selected in the bootloader?

Reverting to Previous Kernel
How can I revert to my previous kernel 5.15.85-1-pve if I need to?

What I have tried reading so far
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host_Bootloader#sysboot_determine_bootloader_used

I would like to understand managing the host system kernel rather than throw commands at the command prompt. Hope someone can explain.

Thank you.

Thanks I did get some ideas from that thread, but a lot I still don't understand. Particularly when does one install pve-headers, since I don't think my initial proxmox install has them for kernel 5.15.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!