Kernel Patch for DirtyCred (CVE-2022-2588)

Mar 16, 2022
Hello,

is there a patch available for CVE-2022-2588 alias DirtyCred?
If yes which kernel version fixes this issue.

In general, how can I figure out myself which kernel update solves which vulnerability?

Regards,
Simon

Last edited:
Code:
apt changelog pve-kernel-XXX

usually gives you the answer. we don't explicitly call out every CVE fix that gets pulled in by updating the base Ubuntu kernel, so checking security.ubuntu.com in addition is sometimes necessary.

e.g., in this case:

Code:
apt changelog pve-kernel-5.15.53-1-pve

will contain the following entry:

Code:
pve-kernel (5.15.19-3) bullseye; urgency=medium

* backport "lib/iov_iter: initialize "flags" in new pipe_buffer"
    fixing CVE-2022-0847 "dirty pipe"

-- Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>  Mon, 07 Mar 2022 16:23:02 +0100

the same is true for our 5.13 kernel series which was still maintained back then, where the fix was in (package!) version 5.13.19-11

the changelogs are also published in our repositories, e.g.: http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bullseye/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/

Reactions: B.Otto and Neobin
Thank´s a lot for your explanation.

Unfortunately I copied the wrong CVE-ID. DirtyCred´s is CVE-2022-2588 (already changed title).

But by following your advice I think I´ve just solved the problem myself:
The changelog of pve-kernel-5.15.53-1-pve says 'update to Ubuntu-5.15.0-48.54' and Ubuntu´s docs say CVE-2022-2588 is fix in kernel version 5.15.0-46.49 or later (jammy). This should imply that DirtyCred is fixed in PVE kernel 5.15.53-1.
Is this correct?

yes!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!