Kernel panics using 1.9

deangreen4

Jan 24, 2011
Hi,
not sure if this is just me but I have noticed a lot of kernel panic problems using prox 1.9
We have proxmox in production running about 200 VMs without issue and I built a new dev box for our guys. The new box is using AMDs, 24 cores and 64gb of RAM and now every VM that is built using more that 2 cores seems to kernel panic. OpenVZ containers are fine, just KVM has the problem.
To get round this I installed the old KSM kernel proxmox-ve-2.6.35 and now all works fine. I put this down to just this machine.
I just installed 1.9 on a 8 core Xeon server and saw exactly the same thing, I again installed the proxmox-ve-2.6.35 kernel and it cleared up.

Has anyone else seen these problems? As I am not going to upgrade the other production boxes to the new version if these problems will start on our production clusters

Cheers

Dean

pls provide details about your used kernel where you experience the crashes. also include info about the panic.

Hi Tom,
it was just the basic 1.9 install. Sorry I havent got any further info on the panics really as I had to sort it there and then, as I did tonight. It either kernel panicked or got soft CPU lockups which caused massive problems and delays in the actual machine booting/building.
Not really a problem for me as we dont use openvz but I imagine it might be a pain for some of the folks that do want to use both visualization technologies

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!