kernel panic when creating VMs (centos 9 stream ISO)

I experienced exact same issue with both RockyLinux 9 and AlmaLinux 9 on all the ProxMox-host I had. Struggled so much to figure it out.

By changing the CPU type to Host like suggested earlier in this thread, instead of the default one, it worked. It is the first time ever (after 10 years or so) changing the CPU-type was needed. Work like a dream once done.

I was hoping the kernal panic would only be during install and i could change the cpu back to km64 after i installed. No such luck. I still got a kernel panic.

Hi!

On Proxmox 7.2-11
We successfully installed "CentOS 9 Stream" without Kernel panic with this type of CPU:

1668587461441.png

I don't know if this tip can help someone here.

Regards,

Reactions: jobine23
Hey Folks, I can confirm that i'm having a similar issue running Almalinux 9.1 (AlmaLinux-9.1-x86_64-minimal.iso) on Proxmox 7.2-11 running kernel: 5.15.60-2-pve

When I change the CPU type on the VM from KVM64 to Host, then I no longer get a Kernel Panic.

Whats the difference between (advantages vs disadvantages) of running KVM64 vs Host?
Cheers

Hello!
I'm running proxmox 7.3-3 and trying to install AlmaLinux 9.1 on a VM with CPU type set to "host". The system will still "kernel panic" on startup.
I was able to install the latest Ubuntu server on the proxmox system.

on a different (HP) server, I tested the latest qemu-kvm/libvirtd and was able to successfully install AlmaLinux 9.1 using the "host-passthrough" CPU type.

The proxmox system is running AMD Opteron(tm) 6168 processors on a SuperMicro board.
The qemu-kvm/libvirtd system is running AMD Opteron(TM) 6272 processors...(HP DL385 G7).

any thoughts why the "host" cpu type is still producing the "kernel panic"?

thanks

Hello!
I'm running proxmox 7.3-3 and trying to install AlmaLinux 9.1 on a VM with CPU type set to "host". The system will still "kernel panic" on startup.
I was able to install the latest Ubuntu server on the proxmox system.

on a different (HP) server, I tested the latest qemu-kvm/libvirtd and was able to successfully install AlmaLinux 9.1 using the "host-passthrough" CPU type.

The proxmox system is running AMD Opteron(tm) 6168 processors on a SuperMicro board.
The qemu-kvm/libvirtd system is running AMD Opteron(TM) 6272 processors...(HP DL385 G7).

any thoughts why the "host" cpu type is still producing the "kernel panic"?

thanks

AlmaLinux absorbed upstream deprecation, models prior to AMD Opteron G4 are no longer supported. (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2060839#c8)

Hey Folks, I can confirm that i'm having a similar issue running Almalinux 9.1 (AlmaLinux-9.1-x86_64-minimal.iso) on Proxmox 7.2-11 running kernel: 5.15.60-2-pve

When I change the CPU type on the VM from KVM64 to Host, then I no longer get a Kernel Panic.

Whats the difference between (advantages vs disadvantages) of running KVM64 vs Host?
Cheers
To answer my own question here, KVM64 is ideal for Live Migration or Failover to another host where the use-case may be that the host it failsover to has a different CPU. Selecting 'Host' can be ok, if the CPU of the other host is of the same CPU architecture.
:)

i've just tried that now too, it seems to work fine with the host CPU type, thanks for checking!

no idea, but it works with the CPU type set to host.

if you have similar issues in different hypervisors then it might be a bug on centos' end (would make sense to report it to them if that's the case)
Thank you for this. I was able to install CentOS-Stream-9-latest-x86_64-dvd1.iso by setting CPU Type to
Code:
host
1680616807379.png

At first, I have the same problem of VM CeCapture.PNGCapture1.PNGntos 9 but I tried to a type of max on the CPU and I t's worked

Hi good day, I tried host and max and I am still getting panic.i have been struggling for a few hours to sort this out, then I googled and it got me here.i am not fortunate enough to go back to an old version as I have the latest centos stream.os there any other fixes that might help.did other services work like esxi, is it doing the same

what processor are you running your host on?
its possible that centos wants to use a cpu-feature your cpu simply doesnt provide (had that recently with an old amd opteron cluster and RHEL9).

Last edited:
what processor are you running your host on?
its possible that centos wants to use a cpu-feature your cpu simply doesnt provide (had that recently with an old amd opteron cluster and RHEL9)
Ok the problem is I been having major issues with proxmox for 16 hours ago.reboot about 8 times and refreshed and reinstalled about 3 times over the course of this weekend so far.Whst happened is the server has no ups and there was 2 power cuts ,one 2 hour and one 4 hour and during this time I was busy with reboot.when rebooted display driver for the screen only worked in verbose mode and when I see the login screen, the monitor went dark...black.I then logged in to the web gui and it went ok.
I tried mounting usb and copy my Isos over to var /vz/template/iso folder and I got many errors ranging of memory error to fstab.

I then used fdisk and blkid to make sure but the usb could not mount.then when I did get it right I was transfering the iso then the power cut.i then reinstalled proxmox die to the black screen.This fixed the issue and then I MV the iso to template again.all good now.

I then fired up VM creation and I got the kernal panic.the cpu is 6th gen skylake.16gigs ram.
Why would rhel work and not centos.The power is still out so I can't test now but I will let you know what other errors I am getting.there are alot.tell me am I supposed to get a rsystemlog error on boot.i am so thinking did the electronics mess up during the surges.
Update:
Ubuntu 23.10 also crashes at 80 percent during the vm install.It freezes up.I tried 4 times with different setting and no luck.THe centos stream 9 finally installed.I swopped from host to extra back to host and back to extra and it worked. Its just ubuntu 23.10 now that i am waiting for a fix from the community

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!