kernel 6.2.x and NVIDIA 390.xx (problem with Nvidia GPU passthrough in LXC)

ekzidua

Jul 14, 2023
I am trying to install Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver Version: 390.157 (the last supported by my video card) on my freshly installed pve-manager/8.0.3/bbf3993334bfa916 (running kernel: 6.2.16-3-pve) in order to do GPU passthrough to my LXC container.
  • Installed all kernel headers pve-headers package - done
Code:
apt list --installed | grep pve-kernel
pve-kernel-6.2.16-3-pve/now 6.2.16-3 amd64 [installed,local]
pve-kernel-6.2/now 8.0.2 all [installed,local]
  • Blacklist - done
Code:
:~# cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist vfio-pci
blacklist radeon
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
  • Installed Dependencies - done
Code:
:~# apt install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.9).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
  • My video card is NVIDIA Quadro K4100M
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K4100M] [10de:11b7] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Dell GK104GLM [Quadro K4100M] [1028:15cd]
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
  • /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
1689352989580.png

It seems the NVDIA driver 390.157 doesn't work with this version of proxmox.
Any suggestions on how to proceed with this?

Last edited:
  • pve7to8 --full
:~# pve7to8 --full | grep NVIDIA
INFO: Checking for existence of NVIDIA vGPU Manager..
PASS: No NVIDIA vGPU Service found.
The result is normal because the video card has no driver installed (this is the problem i am trying to solve)
Тhe actual nvidia driver which works with my video card /NVIDIA Quadro K4100M/ is 390.xx Unfortunately the driver version from your link is not for my video card. K4100M is not in the vGPU supported card list
This document serves as a guide to install NVIDIA vGPU host drivers on the latest Proxmox VE version, at time of writing this its pve 8.0.

You can follow this guide if you have a vGPU supported card from this list, or if you are using a consumer GPU from the GeForce series or a non-vGPU qualified Quadro GPU. There are several sections with a title similar to "Have a vGPU supported GPU? Read here" in this document, make sure to read those very carefully as this is where the instructions differ for a vGPU qualified card and a consumer card.

Last edited:
Your card is still supported in the 418 driver.
But i don't know if that's that much of a help.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-418

And on debian only this...
But this will install firmware-misc-nonfree which is incompatible on the Proxmox host at least.
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#sid-390

I would actually suggest to install simply an Ubuntu VM, passthrough the card to the VM and install the 418 driver.
Then do there whatever you want with the card.
I mean what other options do you have? None...

Edit, well there is one more, keeping pve7 with the old Kernel xD

Last edited:
Hello @Ramalama , thanks for the advice.
Your card is still supported in the 418 driver.
But i don't know if that's that much of a help.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-418
NVIDIA Display Driver Version 418.113 is older than 390.157 and the error it gives during installation is the same.

The second proposal is not acceptable, because this will be 100% incompatible with Proxmox.
I would actually suggest to install simply an Ubuntu VM, passthrough the card to the VM and install the 418 driver.
Then do there whatever you want with the card.
I mean what other options do you have? None...

Edit, well there is one more, keeping pve7 with the old Kernel xD

I know about this approach, but it doesn't make sense to maintain an entire VM just for this (my resource is limited). I hope the new version of the NVIDIA driver 390 will be released soon.

Last edited:
sadly almost every card since 2019 is supported with the open source nouveau driver....
https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

But that won't help you i know.
so well yeah, the best thing you can do is waiting for a newer release then.

Dunno for what task exactly you need your gpu, but if you need to decide again to buy sth for proxmox, when it comes to pley or jellyfin HW Acceleration (at least thats what i think you want to use your card for) or for basic desktop acceleration, i would highly recommend something with an Intel Arc...

Im using myself an A380 in my Server for that and the best thing is, that you don't need any drivers at all.
since 6.2 Kernel it works ootb without any drivers at all.
and there is work going on with sr-iov support, that means if we are luckily, we can soon split the card like vGPU, just much cheaper/better and without licensing costs.

However, since your notebook is from 2014? You gonna probably switch in the near future xD

Cheers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!