Kernel 5.4.44-2-pve problem

It works now on my machine. I listed the drives as '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-....' instead of '/dev/sda*' in '/etc/lvm/lvm.conf' and updated the initramfs. It really was just a configuration error.

@Stoiko Ivanov Thank you very much for your help! Without your help I would have searched for a few weeks more before discovering the configuration error. Your help lead me to the decision to buy a subscription key. Thank you.

@Stoiko Ivanov Thank you very much for your help! Without your help I would have searched for a few weeks more before discovering the configuration error. Your help lead me to the decision to buy a subscription key. Thank you.
Glad that worked :) - it's always hard to find those small changes - I just happened to run into a similar problem myself recently - hence remembered the pain :)

Reactions: Loras and Nazgile94
I have to say that the initial post of this made probably a typo.
They state that 5.4.44-2 is broken and 5.4.44-1 works, but I think they meant to write 5.4.41-1...

So what storage do you all use, mdraid? As all normal LVM setups boot just fine here, on SSDs, NVMe and spinners.
Hello,
No, not a typo:
44-1 booted correctly, 44-2 didn't

1595028976498.png

this is probably the issue - the global filter uses regular expressions and not shell-globs:
`sda*` also matches `sd` and thus `sdb`
Code:
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|"]
try resetting the filter to the default - and regenerate the initrd (only for the current 5.4.44-2 kernel, so that the old ones don't get overwritten with a potentially broken one:
Code:
update-initramfs -k 5.4.44-2-pve -u
and reboot

I did also modify my global_filter to be able to put my bi-weekly backup disk to sleep.
As you know after the problem, I re-installed everything, and re-modified my global_filter... and it boots perfectly.

Do you know when Proxmox will be able to deal with GREEN computing ?
My HP Microserver G8 is now SILENT, COLD and GREEN (I have an NVME, an SSD and my HDD for backups)
Making it easy to setup in the GUI which device is allowed to spindown would make a significant change for a greener world as PROXMOX is more and more used at home.
With the environmental situation, GREEN in 2020 is mandatory !!! ;):cool:

As you know after the problem, I re-installed everything, and re-modified my global_filter... and it boots perfectly.

Did you update the initramfs after modifying /etc/lvm/lvm.conf? How did you specify the disks? The problem only occurs when the altered lvm.conf is included in the initramfs and the disks are listed by their enumerated disk names (sda, sdb, ...). If you didn't list the drives by id (/dev/disk/by-id/ata-...) the problem may reappear after a kernel update (because update-initramfs is executed).

Hello,
Here is my mod:
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000DM004-2CX188_ZCT0D032*|", "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|"]

But you wrote that it boots after the re-installation... I'm confused.

Which kernel version are you running now? Does this kernel version has the modified global_filter line in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf included in the initramfs?

Last edited:
It works now on my machine. I listed the drives as '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-....' instead of '/dev/sda*' in '/etc/lvm/lvm.conf' and updated the initramfs. It really was just a configuration error.

That solved the issue for me to. Thank you very much! Don't know why pve started to enumerate the drives differently after a soft reboot. My boot disk is normally /dev/sda and it was not excluded by the filter rule in lvm.conf. With the latest kernels this drive becomes /dev/sdb after a soft reboot. After a hard reboot it's again /dev/sda. So I always had to pull the plug to make pve boot.

@Loras @lonsimbt
I'm running now 5.4.44-2-pve with
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000DM004-2CX188_ZCT0D032*|", "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|"]
And I'm almost 100% sure that I restored the original global_filter in my attempts to find out what was wrong.

@sebcbien

Shouldn't it be "r|/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000DM004-2CX188_ZCT0D032.*|" ?

My filter rule is now:

Code:
global_filter = [ "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|", "r|/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EURS.*|", "r|/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX.*|" ]

It matches my four WD HDD. My boot drive ist a SSD which is not matched by the filter rule.

Do you use UEFI secure boot?

There where only two changes between 5.4.44-1-pve and 5.4.44-2-pve:
* a fix for cloning network sockets and cgroups, hardly to be hit in boot at all, IMO very unlikely the culprit
* disabling the CONFIG_SECURITY_LOCKDOWN_LSM and CONFIG_SECURITY_LOCKDOWN_LSM_EARLY config options to fix ZFS on secureboot, if that would be more likely the culprit...

5.4.44-1-pve doesnt work/boot, as well.
I am back on 5.4.41-1-pve

5.4.44-1-pve doesnt work/boot, as well.
I am back on 5.4.41-1-pve

Most people in this thread, including the OP, had broken their initramfs generation with a bad lvm.conf global_filter, so all newly generated ones where not booting - it wasn't actually a kernel issue per se.
Please (double) check that, and if this is not the case open a new thread.

Sorry, but nope, I tried the new kernel with an unmodified lvm.conf global_filter and it was not booting.
And now the 5.4.44.2 is booting with my previous global_filter without any issue.
Just my 2cents

I did also modify my global_filter to be able to put my bi-weekly backup disk to sleep.

Do you know when Proxmox will be able to deal with GREEN computing ?
My HP Microserver G8 is now SILENT, COLD and GREEN (I have an NVME, an SSD and my HDD for backups)
Making it easy to setup in the GUI which device is allowed to spindown would make a significant change for a greener world as PROXMOX is more and more used at home.
With the environmental situation, GREEN in 2020 is mandatory !!! ;):cool:

Do you have AMS (Agentless Management Service) running on your MicroServer Gen8? How can you be silent without it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!