keeping three XFS formatted USB3 passport drives synced in near-real-time?

ltgcc

Dec 28, 2021
tl;dr: in title

I have a three node proxmox cluster in physically separate locations within the company. They are on internal redundant networks 1G branches, 10G and 100G backbones.

Unfortunately, I did not completely do all of my homework before migrating physboxes to proxmox VMs (and LXCs when it was doable without too much pain). One of the applications is an in-house video system (cams and other). Unfortunately, the SOP is to write the data, the streams, archiving and whatever else to a passport drive that is formatted XFS. The end. Full stop. So it'll work (and does work) on one PVE node (call it PVE1) but as currently set up, there is no redundancy. I have identical passports formatted XFS plugged into PVE2 and PVE3, and the application is installed and seems to work as expected as a solo app on PVE2 and PVE3.

the app can 'keep going' if less than about 4-5 min of data 'interruption', so if I can figure out how to keep all three passport drives 'continuously' synced then I might be able to solve the redundancy issue.

Does proxmox have sometihng that can do this built in or easily available? It's probably perfectly obvious...

syncthing https://syncthing.net/ looks promising but before I went too far down a rabbit hole I wanted to see if proxmox has sometihng that can do this built in or easily available. Or I'm missing some approach that is amazingly obvious.

Thanks in advance

PVE can replicate VMs between local storages of cluster nodes. PVE1 can replicate VM 1's config and disk every 1min to x hours from PVE 1's XFS storage to PVE 2's XFS storage. That way if PVE1 fails, PVE2 will restart VM1 as if it was an accidental reboot. Downtime is as slow as your XFS is for the startup of the VM.

But I'm not sure if you want the data synchronized for any other reason.
Cheers,

Tmanok

PVE can replicate VMs between local storages of cluster nodes. PVE1 can replicate VM 1's config and disk every 1min to x hours from PVE 1's XFS storage to PVE 2's XFS storage. That way if PVE1 fails, PVE2 will restart VM1 as if it was an accidental reboot. Downtime is as slow as your XFS is for the startup of the VM.

But I'm not sure if you want the data synchronized for any other reason.
Cheers,

Tmanok

Do you confuse XFS with ZFS?:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Replication#_supported_storage_types

Or am I more confused as usual? :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!