keep notes when transform backup to template

Forssux

Mar 27, 2022
Hi There,

The Notes in a container are very usefull to give more clarification what this container is al about or give some insights how to use them.
So I stop a container and make a backup and copy that backup to /mnt/pve/Backup-Virtual/template/cache to use it as a template.
When I launch the container made with this template I noticed that the Notes where gone.
Am I doing something wrong? How can I keep the notes.

Kind regards,
Guy

Hi,

Please keep in mind that templates in the sense how LXC handles them and templates from Proxmox containers are not the same kind of thing.
LXC templates are just blank slates that usually represent the bare minimum of the installation of one particular Linux distribution. A template in the sense of Proxmox, on the other hand, also copies and transfers the Proxmox configurations of the original container.
That means that only the Proxmox container template include e.g. disk configurations, notes, ...

From the sounds of it, you are creating an LXC template and a new container from that, which might not be what you actually would want to do. A better solution to your problem would be to create a template from an existing container in the GUI or through the API (I.e. right clicking the container > Convert to template).
From this template you can then directly instantiate clones with the corresponding configuration being applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forssux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!