[SOLVED] Just a simple question

diaolin

Renowned Member
Jul 7, 2008
Trentino Italy
Do you have a command for reading the content of a index.json.blob?

I know that is visible through interface....

I don't mean "edit" but "read"

Tx, Diaolin

Hi,
You would just have to restore it with:
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore <snapshot_type>/<id>/<time> index.json.blob index.json

And the restore can be done in a new VM (new ID) to avoid overwrite the original one?
I would like to test the recovery part without testing on a live VM for now.

Thank you,

And the restore can be done in a new VM (new ID) to avoid overwrite the original one?

Thank you,
You cannot specify a VMID for a "new" VM during the restore, as the PBS does not know and does not care about PVE VMIDs (it is the PVE host who is concerned about that).
The command provided by @dylanw does a file level restore of the index.json.blob to index.json.

So in order to do a restore of a PVE VM by yourself just using the proxmox-backup-client, you will probably have fetch the VM config from the backup first, create a new VM based on that config and then do the restore of the block devices.

I must admit I don't know the details here, so the best reference you might get is the PVE source code. This will show you how the proxmox-backup-client is called during restore.

Thank you,
you should restore with the internal pve commands like

qmrestore <archive> <vmid> <options>
pct restore <vmid> <ostemplate>

This is the command

Diaolin

Yes, I agree. I just asked that because of an alternative way to open single file without replacing original VMID.
If it's a VM and not container/host you can only restore the entire VM.
I repeat: this thread regards only the opening of a blob file, no restoration of "running files"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!