Journal Recovery - Failure to boot

scottcom4

Apr 2, 2024
Hi All,

I am very new to Proxmox, having installed on a new mini PC about 2 months ago. Everything has been going along swimmingly until the last few days when, upon rebooting the physical machine, a message was thrown that the Journal was recovering. I left this overnight and when I returned in the morning the same message was presented with the same progress for files and blocks.
IMG_20240522_173229.jpg_compressed.JPEG

I did some reading and this can be an issue when you are using passthrough for devices. I had set up video card passthrough for transcoding about a month and a half ago, and had restarted the machine multiple times since then without issue, however this seemed to be a good lead to pursue.

I first disabled SVM in the BIOS (Running an AMD processor) and rebooted. Same issue.

Next I booted into Grub and removed 'quiet' value from the standard boot and pressed F10 to load. I don't get the previously discussed message, but the following instead:

IMG_20240522_173633.jpg_compressed.JPEG

I left this to sit for a few hours to see if it progressed further, but no such luck.

Next, I used the installation USB to boot into recovery mode with the terminal. I attempted to run fsck, but the message returned was that the fstab file could not be located. I checked and there was no fstab in /etc/.

Does anyone have any additional ideas on how I can proceed from here?

Thank you in advance for your help.

fstab doesn't disappear for no reason. Do you have any sort of backup of this system?

Post results of ' lsblk -f ', maybe you can recreate it

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue
^ This is a full rescue environment with gparted, fsarchiver, etc

https://github.com/kneutron/ansitest/tree/master/proxmox

For future reference and CYA - when you get back up and running, setup the bkpcrit script in the repo above and use it frequently (like nightly in cron) and before any system changes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!