java works! but not the console (ie, firefox9.01, opera, chromo) for 2.0 beta

milandred

Dec 29, 2011
hello!

I'm have properly install and running java in my windows 7 pc, i did not have problems with proxmox 1.9, I just installed 2.0 beta
but i can't open the console after i installed a VM.
when checking the error status on "tasks" at the bottom I got "ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null' failed: exit code 1
i got the same problem with the 4 browsers.

any idea in how to solve this.

thanks.

-milandred

we've had similar issues in linux.

the devs recommend using tigervnc . I could explain how to use it in linux, but not windows .

thanks for your help!

so, you mean something, like a have to replace the vnc for tigervnc and connect from outside the browser.

can you tell me how do you use it to get an idea, i might have to use linux then.

thanks.

which versions do you have? mine are:
Code:
sun-java6-bin  6.26-2lucid1
sun-java6-plugin 6.26-2lucid1
firefox 9.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.10.04.1
google-chrome-stable 16.0.912.63-r113337

and the only way for me to reliably get at a kvm console is to use tigervnc.

I'm using archlinux, so can't compare to your packages

java -version

#java version "1.6.0_29"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.4-b02, mixed mode)

firefox 9 & chromium 16

I've heard good things about archlinux...

recently in Ubuntu and Debian there were a lot of discussions regarding Oracle licensing and bugs . I am not an expert on the changes that occurred because of that, but suspect that a change in the java plugin has something to do with the problem.

from /usr/share/doc/sun-java6-jre/changelog.Debian.gz :
Code:
sun-java6 (6.26-2lucid1) lucid; urgency=low

* Disable the browser plugin due to security issues.
    - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/javacpuoct2011-443431.html

-- James Westby <james.westby@canonical.com>  Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:55:02 -0500

and after a recent update, google chrome was prompting to allow icedtea plugin to work at different sites.

so maybe you have not run into the issue as archlinux does not use the same java plugin ?

someone posted that you need to install 32-bit java also. maybe you just have 64-bit java installed?

we are using Ubuntu LTS with i686 kernel:
Code:
uname -a
Linux fbc-laptop 2.6.32-37-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 20:35:14 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

also, do you use tigervnc for win7 ?

if so i know a couple of people here looking for info on how to set it up.

Thanks everybody for your response.

I see that works fine with linux and mac (leopard) but not in windows 7, I tried using different PCs no luck.

I guess for now on I will have to use my mac to access the control panel until a much more comparability (java) for Firefox 9.0.1 come out.

thanks to the team for this great software for VM.

--milandred.

the whole team here works on win7-64, so there must be something different on your side.

Console is also unusable here under Kubuntu 11.10 with Firefox and Chrome.

With Firefox, the console does start but Java consumes 100% CPU.
Firefox also complains about the JavaSCRIPT consuming too much resources, and suggests to kill it.
If you do so, the entire browser will crash.

Chrome complains about the same.

Perhaps you could offer an option to start the VNC client through Java web start files, instead of running it as an applet in the browser?
My experience (in general, not just with Proxmox) is that when run embedded in the browser Java is less stable under Linux.

applet1.pngapplet2.pngapplet3.png

Last edited:
the sun-java6-plugin is the recommended one. due to license changes (Oracle), sun-java6-plugin is not available anymore for 11.10, only a manual install is available.

the included icedtea-plugin is not that stable, we do not recommend it.

in future, we will probably support spice (as java console replacement/alternative).

here a ppa for 11.10:

Chrome complains that one is old.

java-applet.png

And if you wait too long to click away that message and the certificate errors, you get:

no connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

in future, we will probably support spice (as java console replacement/alternative).

What about a pure Javascript client like noVNC?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!