Issues with nested virtualization on AMD Ryzen 7 CPU

breaker_

Aug 14, 2020
Hey All,

I've set up ProxMox running on my home PC using VMware Workstation. I have a Ryzen 7 3800x CPU. I've got all the storage set up and everything, but I am running into big problems trying to start my VM (Windows 10).

I have already edited the configuration file for the VM and set the args: -cpu host, +svm. I have also enabled nested virtualization on the kernel and restarted via modprobe.

I have enabled virtualization of CPU performance counters on the actual ProxMox host VM as well. I also set the CPU type of the Windows 10 VM to 'host'.

Whenever I try to start the VM, I get the same error:

kvm: error: failed to set MSR 0xe1 to 0x0
kvm: /build/pve-qemu/pve-qemu-kvm-5.0.0/target/i386/kvm.c:2695: kvm_buf_set_msrs: Assertion `ret == cpu->kvm_msr_buf->nmsrs' failed.
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

This is driving me insane. If someone could please help I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Also tried:

qm set ID -machine pc-q35-2.6 and it applied successfully, but had no effect....VM still fails to boot

you need to expose nested virtualization in your windows host, which could be an issue.
Also vmx seems to be Intel, svm for AMD.

Well it appears that nested virtualization with AMD isn't possible in a GA release of Windows 10 yet to my knowledge. It requires a build that you need to be a Windows Insider for...

@mcdull my apologies. I did not know vmware supported using hyper-v already. Anyway, I guess I got confused because you wrote
nested vm in AMD and windows is very new indeed
when you apparently meant "hyper-v"...

Just one question, how do you know that OP is using the hyper-v mode in windows?

I did not assume OP must use hyper-v mode but removing hyper-v entrirely is extremely difficult if not impossible so it should always be assuming the hyper-v plays a role here.

@mcdull my home pc/laptop arrived with windows 10 pro and hyper-v was NOT enabled. Although I tried it at some point, the enabling disabling was as simple as going to control panel and enable the Hyper-V Hypervisor by checking the checkbox and disable it clearing the checkbox.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ent/virtualization-apps-not-work-with-hyper-v
At least my experience was that it is not difficult to enable/disable it and it comes disabled by default.

But anyway maybe @breaker_ tells us if he is using hyper-v or not, there is no point in trying to guess I guess.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!