Issues with hostnames after reboot

ukhost4u

Oct 30, 2008
Hello,

We are having an odd issue. When we reboot a VE it seems to change the hostname. If we have it setup as server1.domain.ext in proxmox and on the server and then reboot it, it will change the hostname to just server1 and remove the domain name.

This is causing us issues with mail etc and I can't see what is causing it. It did not effect us in older versions of proxmox.

Thanks.

Paul Hughes
http://www.ukhost4u.com/

Hello,

We are having an odd issue. When we reboot a VE it seems to change the hostname. If we have it setup as server1.domain.ext in proxmox and on the server and then reboot it, it will change the hostname to just server1 and remove the domain name.

This is causing us issues with mail etc and I can't see what is causing it. It did not effect us in older versions of proxmox.

Thanks.

Paul Hughes
http://www.ukhost4u.com/

hostname and domain name have to be defined on the web interface. if you change it inside the container the reboot changes this back.

what OS template do you have?

Hello,

We always set the hostname in proxmox and have checked it in the 101.conf file. Both these locations have the correct hostname but it seems to ignore them and still strip the domain.

We are also using CentOS 5.2 on all these systems.

Paul

Hello,

We always set the hostname in proxmox and have checked it in the 101.conf file. Both these locations have the correct hostname but it seems to ignore them and still strip the domain.

We are also using CentOS 5.2 on all these systems.

Paul

as hostname you should give the hostname (without domain). how can I reproduce this behavior and why it is a problem?

which template (downloaded from our site?) do you use? latest Proxmox VE version?

Hello,

Lets say I set the hostname as server1.ukhost4u.com and reboot the VPS, when I run the hostname command again it will show as server1 and not server1.ukhost4u.com. The reason this is a problem is that the exim mail server send's out using the hostname and we are getting rejected emails for not being a fully qualified domain.

We also running Proxmox 1.1 and the lastest Centos template (Version 5) download from your web site.

We also run Virtuozzo and it does not seem to strip the full domain from the hostname when a container is rebooted.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul Hughes

Hello,

Lets say I set the hostname as server1.ukhost4u.com and reboot the VPS, when I run the hostname command again it will show as server1 and not server1.ukhost4u.com. The reason this is a problem is that the exim mail server send's out using the hostname and we are getting rejected emails for not being a fully qualified domain.

We also running Proxmox 1.1 and the lastest Centos template (Version 5) download from your web site.

We also run Virtuozzo and it does not seem to strip the full domain from the hostname when a container is rebooted.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul Hughes

I will try it here - just a short idea: I assume you can define the host/mail name used for exim (in the exim config). I am not an exim expert but its just a guess.

This is also the case with "debian-4.0-standard_4.0-4" and "ubuntu-8.0-standard_8.04-1" containers.
If you set the hostname with either the "hostname" command or edit /etc/hostnames, it will be reset after reboot

Best regards
J. Cano Tomas

This is also the case with "debian-4.0-standard_4.0-4" and "ubuntu-8.0-standard_8.04-1" containers.
If you set the hostname with either the "hostname" command or edit /etc/hostnames, it will be reset after reboot

Best regards
J. Cano Tomas

yes. in a container you need to specify the host name "outside", means you cannot change this "inside". this is a feature, not a bug.

Hello,

Yes I agree but its not reading what is set outside of the container. Its showing up correctly in proxmox web interface and within the openVZ config file but it changes it when you reboot to remove the domain even though this is not whats set on the outside.

Paul

Hello,

Yes I agree but its not reading what is set outside of the container. Its showing up correctly in proxmox web interface and within the openVZ config file but it changes it when you reboot to remove the domain even though this is not whats set on the outside.

Paul

we will analyze.

Hi Tom, i accept your answer, but my case is that i need to have a FQDN in /etc/hostname and that just doesn't happen when setting the options outside.
To turn this arround - what should i do to populate /etc/hostname with the FQDN?

btw, thanks for your fast "no nonsense" replys :)

Best regards
J. Cano Tomas

Hostname is a hostname, i.e. it should not contain a domain at all.

The domain is usullay stored in /etc/hosts.

For mailer systems, the domain is usually stored somewhere else (/etc/mailname on debian).

- Dietmar

Hi Tom, i accept your answer, but my case is that i need to have a FQDN in /etc/hostname and that just doesn't happen when setting the options outside.
To turn this arround - what should i do to populate /etc/hostname with the FQDN?

btw, thanks for your fast "no nonsense" replys :)

Best regards
J. Cano Tomas

so if you can live with this standard, you try a start up script changing this every time you boot the container but why is this standard a problem on your side? what application?

Any more info about this issue ??
I have the same problem. After a vm reboot, the vm hostname changes:
host1.domain.com --> host1

I run centos template.
centos-5-i386-default-5.3-20090803

Thanks.

Any more info about this issue ??
I have the same problem. After a vm reboot, the vm hostname changes:
host1.domain.com --> host1

I run centos template.
centos-5-i386-default-5.3-20090803

Thanks.

whats the problem in detail on your side?

we follow the standard and a hostname does not contain the domain, see above.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!