[SOLVED] Issues logging on Web UI

LooneyTunes

Jun 1, 2019
Hi,

I just tried to log on to my server and realized that it refuses to let me in. I have updated it through ssh a few times since I last logged on the web UI, and usually issue a reboot afterwards as well. What can I do too regain access to the web UI?

Edit: I finally was let back in, but the syslog is full of strange stuff;

Code:
Apr 02 20:26:54 pve postfix/local[6472]: warning: hash:/etc/aliases is unavailable. open database /etc/aliases.db: No such file or directory
Apr 02 20:26:54 pve postfix/local[6472]: warning: hash:/etc/aliases: lookup of 'root' failed
Apr 02 20:26:54 pve postfix/local[6473]: error: open database /etc/aliases.db: No such file or directory

And it is also talking gibberish, seems to be a database corruption. Is there a way of resetting/correcting this in an easy way?

And now all of a sudden, it refuses to let me in again... This time not even showing the TOTP dialog...

Thanks

Last edited:
Edit: I finally was let back in, but the syslog is full of strange stuff;
These logs look like a separate issue. Could you check if the file '/etc/aliases exists and contains content? If so, you can rebuild the database (/etc/aliases.db) with the command: newaliases

And now all of a sudden, it refuses to let me in again... This time not even showing the TOTP dialog...
Does login via SSH generally work? If the GUI reports any particular error message, would you mind posting it here?

These logs look like a separate issue. Could you check if the file '/etc/aliases exists and contains content? If so, you can rebuild the database (/etc/aliases.db) with the command: newaliases

Does login via SSH generally work? If the GUI reports any particular error message, would you mind posting it here?
Hi, sorry for the late response... Yes to both questions. The aliases file do exist, and contains information. It was only the GUI that did not allow me to log on, SSH has worked all the time, i have yet to find an error though. Where and what should I look for? Thanks

Not being able to log in only in the GUI is usually a problem with clusters when they are in a non-quorate state.
Are you running a cluster?

The other errors you posted seem to all come from Postfix. MIsconfiguration or errors in postfix should not impair the PVE at all.

Hi, sorry for the late response... Yes to both questions. The aliases file do exist, and contains information
If you run the newaliases command, it should rebuild the file /etc/aliases.db, based on the contents of the /etc/aliases file, fixing the posted error.

Regarding the GUI login issue, am I correct in understanding that it still works periodically? Do you see any error messages following the failed login? Are you sure that the correct "Realm" is selected when logging in?

If login stops working again, could you run the following command, then attempt a login, then terminate the program with 'ctrl+c' and post the output here?
Code:
journalctl -f
The above commands prints new system log entries as they are added to the journal.

Thanks! I have run the newalias command without errors. I will keep a note of the journalctl command if the error should return again. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!