[SOLVED] Issues getting Proxmox 4.4 + Ceph Jewel running

greenedv

Jul 30, 2013
First, why I need Flash Plugin to post something? It instantly broke.

Second. I installed Proxmox 4.4 from CD, went to the web interface - all running fine. After that I tried to install:

pveceph install -version jewel

which responsed to me that version jewel is not in the enumeration.
Bummer ... this is kind of annoying.
Okay then I replaced the repository to pve-no-subscription and also did
sed -i 's/hammer/jewel/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade rebooted the machine and now the webfronted is not reachable anymore. Not via IP or name (and yes I have tried 2 different browsers + private mode in each browser).
I can connect from another machine via ssh to it, all services running restart of pve-proxy didn't helped. Have I missed something?

So is there a save/approved/tested/working guide to install Proxmox VE 4.4 with Ceph (Jewel)?

Last edited:
To expand a bit on @wolfgang's response:

- Install from ISO
- fix up the repo info if necessary (i.e., if you don't have a subscription)
- apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y <---- this step to get the current point release which includes Jewel
- then "pveceph..."

The baseline 4.4 did not include Jewel, it was added later during an update.

Okay after fresh install and setting up repositories (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories) this worked:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
pveceph install --version jewel

After the state I had described above a simple "pveceph install --version jewel" didn't worked out. The Webfrontend was still inacessible.

The Thread can be marked as solved.

Edit: Removed apt-get update step.

Last edited:
Please read the instructions. DO NOT do a apt-get upgrade!

Just do:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Please read the instructions. DO NOT do a apt-get upgrade!

Just do:
It really doesn't matter much. Upgrades are cumulative and "dist-upgrade" is a superset of "upgrade". So it is an un-needed axtra step to get to the same place. No harm, no foul (or, if you prefer real sports, advantage - Play On).

It really doesn't matter much. Upgrades are cumulative and "dist-upgrade" is a superset of "upgrade". So it is an un-needed axtra step to get to the same place. No harm, no foul (or, if you prefer real sports, advantage - Play On).

no, because we don't (yet) track inter-PVE versioned dependencies - so if PVE package A gets a new external dependency it won't be upgraded by "apt-get upgrade", but a PVE package B which needs the new A (but does not have this explicit in its dependencies) will be. now you have a broken installation, and apt-get dist-upgrade might need manual massaging before working. ALWAYS use apt-get dist-upgrade with PVE, as noted in the documentation!

Same problem here.

And this after a fresh install of proxmox.
Disable the enterprise repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

I get,

root@ceph07:~# pveceph install --version jewel

400 Parameter verification failed.

version: value 'jewel' does not have a value in the enumeration 'hammer'

pveceph install [OPTIONS]

I just added in /etc/apt/sources.list

# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-no-subscription

And guess what? It's working. Unfortunately, the enviroment I'm trying to setup is for production use...

Any help?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just added in /etc/apt/sources.list

# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian jessie pve-no-subscription

And guess what? It's working. Unfortunately, the enviroment I'm trying to setup is for production use...

Any help?

Thanks

then use the enterprise repository?

I see. Thought it was a confusion with the topic about "just do dist-upgrade" and it works. Better said, do the dist-upgrade if you have the enterprise repository added. :)

I see. Thought it was a confusion with the topic about "just do dist-upgrade" and it works. Better said, do the dist-upgrade if you have the enterprise repository added. :)

using "apt-get dist-upgrade" instead of "apt-get upgrade" has nothing to do with whether you use the pve-no-subscription or the pve-enterprise repository, it applies to both cases.

Indeed, but command "pveceph install --version jewel" (error was mention above) was not working with the default repository (pve-enterprise repository disabled), even after dist-upgrade. When I add the pve-no-subscription repo, things start working.

PS: On pveceph install (without --version), default ceph is Hammer.

Indeed, but command "pveceph install --version jewel" (error was mention above) was not working with the default repository (pve-enterprise repository disabled), even after dist-upgrade. When I add the pve-no-subscription repo, things start working.

if you have the default APT source lists and "pve-enterprise disabled" (whatever that means?), you effectively only use the Debian Jessie repositories, and no PVE repositories at all. in that case, you don't upgrade any PVE packages when using "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade", and therefore you get no new version of pveceph, and therefore no Ceph Jewel support.

you either need to activate a subscription (and keep pve-enterprise enabled), or switch to the pve-no-subscription repositories instead of pve-enterprise. then updating works as expected, including getting the newer package versions with Ceph Jewel support.

Reactions: Dan Nicolae

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!