issued wrong chmod 660 /etc/ command

magnum

Aug 31, 2021
Hello,

i accidently issued

chmod 660 --recursive /etc/

and jammed the system up... i wanted to do it only on /etc/wpa/..

Only way of access is via physical terminal/console.. ssh wont let me in anymore.

How do i restore the permissions ?

Last edited:
well "restoring" would only be possible if you have a recent backup of that system ;) you can of course use another PVE system as template, but likely there will be some files missing in that case..

e.g., you can use chmod --reference=/backup/path /path

Hmm f***,
ofc i do not have backups of that... only of vms.. damn.. whats the smartest way to reinstall and to get the vms back running?

well you can still install a fresh PVE system on some other host/in a VM/.., and then reset the permission of the files you get from there, and then manually fix up the rest.

Yepp done that.. Thank you so far. Is there any tool to get all file permissions backed up?
Can you or anyone tell me a good way to backup proxmox host?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!