issue with vnc

zozo

Apr 19, 2014
Hello,

I have a small issue with the proxmox vnc when connecting from external vnc client.

As I have read in some older posts I start the vnc client by issuing the following command 'nc -l -p 5900 -c "qm vncproxy <VMID> somepassword"' but when I try to connect with a vnc client the commands drops on proxmox with the following error:

user config - ignore config line: #user:www-data@pam:1:0:::anything@example.com::
400 wrong number of arguments
qm vncproxy <vmid>

is there anyone who could help me to fix this issue? thanks,

ok, thanks,

I have another question. I can see that proxmox is using the same port to create consoles on all the active guests. Can anyone explain if that can be used for external vnc clients and if yes then what would be the way to differentiate between the clients. I don't want one customer to accidentally connect to the wrong guest.

ok, thanks,

I have another question. I can see that proxmox is using the same port to create consoles on all the active guests.

no, this is not true. we use ports between 5900 and 5999.

Thanks for the quick answer. one more question and I think I am done. Is there any way to access the vnc without username and password?

You need to authenticate on the admin interfac (user/pass), then you can connect to any VM in your cluster without additional user/pw.

if you do not want to use our admin gui, check http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API

when I try to connect to the vnc from my phone client I am getting the following error in the server side

# nc -l -p5900 -c "/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 130"

unable to connect to socket '/var/run/qemu-server/130.vnc' - No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/qm line 57.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!