Issue with VM on Windows

Jan 26, 2021
There is a Proxmox 6.2 server with 2 linux VMs and 1 windows server 2019 std VM.
After several shutdowns / reboots of Proxmox 6.2-12, after turning on the VM, Proxmox completely freezes. At the same time, the local network, which Proxmox is connected to, starts to freeze. What could be the problem. Other VMs on linux start up and work fine.
Also, after trying to create a new VM on windows, Proxmox hangs.

What are your ressource-assignments and your used hardware?
Is it possible the system runs out of memory?

Win2019_spec.PNG
These are the parameters on the windows VM.

When I previously turned on the VM on windows, the RAM allocated for it in the Summary tab was 100% occupied
SM_spec.PNG

These are the parameters of the node.

That is not the CPU type.
What is the the full Intel Name?
Please provide informations as requested. I am trying to help...

First of all try to upgrade to the current release. 6.2 is not too old but maybe it helps.
Second check your BIOS settings in terms of watchdog, sie epstates etc. Maybe even a reset to defaults is a good idea...
If a system freezes up completely this is likely related to some hardware issue. Or is a freeze just that you can't connect to SSH/etc anymore?

First of all try to upgrade to the current release. 6.2 is not too old but maybe it helps.
Second check your BIOS settings in terms of watchdog, sie epstates etc. Maybe even a reset to defaults is a good idea...
If a system freezes up completely this is likely related to some hardware issue. Or is a freeze just that you can't connect to SSH/etc anymore?
Thanks for the advice, I'll try. But I never updated Proxmox on the node. Are there any recommendations, manuals?
I will also try to reset Bios.
There were no problems connecting via SSH

I reset the BIOS today, but nothing helped.
When I start the Windows VM, it boots up, pings, I can go to the desktop through the shell. After a few minutes, the web interface stops responding, and the terminal session on the Proxmox itself on the server hangs up (the cursor stops blinking). You have to turn off the power button and then turn it back on. I don't know what to do anymore.

you can try a complete reinstall. But I doubt that this will help.
Have you checked the logs in /var/log ?
What does the "syslog" tell you - last lines before the "freeze"?

Last edited:
you can try a complete reinstall. But I doubt that this will help.
Have you checked the logs in /var/log ?
What does the "syslog" tell you - last lines before the "freeze"?

If possible I have attached the output from the Syslog file. There are time gaps which mean the server restart time. I did not understand that it still slows down the system, maybe you will see something. And about reinstallation - why do you think it won't save?

Attachments

• syslog.zip
    246.6 KB · Views: 6
And how can you mount a disk from a virtual machine from the old Proxmox to the newly installed one. It’s too hard to install a new Proxmox and wanted to mount virtual disks from virtual machines

Yes ECC memory. In general, I reinstalled Proxmox, restored my critical virtual machines. But when installing a Windows virtual machine, restarting, shutting down the virtual machine does not work

The problem came back. After installing windows server 2019 on a virtual machine, after installing the driver on the network, Proxmox froze again. I do not know what to do.

Please can you specify? There are multiple gaps and some of them are too short imho to show the issue you have.
Thanks
The freeze problem was solved very easily, I changed the network adapter from virtio to Intel E1000. I rebooted from the Windows interface several times, never hung. However, the Ballon service for RAM does not work. I installed the service, but RAM still shows a lot on the Dashboard

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!