[SOLVED] Issue with qdevice installation after adding nodes to the cluster with existing qdevice

MH_MUC

May 24, 2019
Hi,
I am running a two node cluster with qdevice.
I want to replace the existing servers by 2 new ones so I added the 2 new machines to the cluster to migrate the CTs/VMs and to remove the existing ones afterwards.

I noticed that the qdevice wasn't shown in the pvecm status of the new servers so I removed the qdevice and wanted to add it again. Somehow this is always failing.
Here is what I did / know so far:
I updated the certificates on all cluster nodes with pvecm updatecerts.

pvecm status shows (on all nodes, where .160 and .25 are the two new ones):
Code:
Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   4
Highest expected: 4
Total votes:      4
Quorum:           3
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes    Qdevice Name
0x00000001          1  NA,NV,NMW 91.XXX.XXX.7
0x00000002          1  NA,NV,NMW 91.XXX.XXX.28
0x00000003          1         NR 91.XXX.XXX.160 (local)
0x00000004          1         NR 91.XXX.XXX.25
0x00000000          0            Qdevice (votes 0)

When trying to remove the qdevice I get:
Code:
pvecm qdevice remove
No QDevice configured!

I tried to purge the qdevice package on the machine that is running the vote support package (apt-get purge corosync-qnetd) and reinstalled it.
When trying to add the qdevice again it fails with:
Code:
pvecm qdevice setup 91.XXX.XXX.18
/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: Source of key(s) to be installed: "/root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub"
/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: attempting to log in with the new key(s), to filter out any that are already installed

/bin/ssh-copy-id: WARNING: All keys were skipped because they already exist on the remote system.
                (if you think this is a mistake, you may want to use -f option)

QDevice certificate store already initialised, set force to delete!
So I tried it with the -f option
Code:
root@server20:/home/max# pvecm qdevice setup 91.XXX.XXX.18 -f
/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: Source of key(s) to be installed: "/root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub"
/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: attempting to log in with the new key(s), to filter out any that are already installed

/bin/ssh-copy-id: WARNING: All keys were skipped because they already exist on the remote system.
                (if you think this is a mistake, you may want to use -f option)

INFO: initializing qnetd server
Certificate database (/etc/corosync/qnetd/nssdb) already exists. Delete it to initialize new db

INFO: copying CA cert and initializing on all nodes

node 'server20': Creating /etc/corosync/qdevice/net/nssdb
password file contains no data
node 'server20': Creating new key and cert db
node 'server20': Creating new noise file /etc/corosync/qdevice/net/nssdb/noise.txt
node 'server20': Importing CACertificate database already exists. Delete it to continue
Certificate database already exists. Delete it to continue
Certificate database already exists. Delete it to continue

INFO: generating cert request
Creating new certificate request

Generating key.  This may take a few moments...

Certificate request stored in /etc/corosync/qdevice/net/nssdb/qdevice-net-node.crq

INFO: copying exported cert request to qnetd server

INFO: sign and export cluster cert
Signing cluster certificate
Certificate stored in /etc/corosync/qnetd/nssdb/cluster-cluster01.crt

INFO: copy exported CRT

INFO: import certificate
Importing signed cluster certificate
Notice: Trust flag u is set automatically if the private key is present.
pk12util: PKCS12 EXPORT SUCCESSFUL
Certificate stored in /etc/corosync/qdevice/net/nssdb/qdevice-net-node.p12

INFO: copy and import pk12 cert to all nodes

node 'server20': Importing cluster certificate and key
node 'server20': pk12util: PKCS12 IMPORT SUCCESSFUL
pk12util: PKCS12 decode import bags failed: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL: You are attempting to import a cert with the same issuer/serial as an existing cert, but that is not the same cert.
command 'ssh -o 'BatchMode=yes' -lroot 91.XXX.XXX.28 corosync-qdevice-net-certutil -m -c /etc/pve/qdevice-net-node.p12' failed: exit code 19
node 'server25': Importing cluster certificate and keyroot

How can I solve this issue?
As soon as I am down to two servers again on this cluster I need the qdevice to be working

This:

Code:
0x00000000          0            Qdevice (votes 0)

Means that the qdevice is removed, meaning it has no votes anymore. Once you add a qdevice to a cluster it will always show on pvecm status, varying just the amounts of votes it has for quorum.

Did you apt install corosync-qdevice on the two new servers? You will need it to re-enable the qdevice.

Thank you for the reply.

I installed the packages on the new nodes. However when trying to add the qdevice again it fails as quoted in my last quote on my first post. Any idea?

I think I have to manually remove the remains of the qdevice as I failed to remove it before adding the new nodes.

Thank you!

Actually I solved it myself.
It is hard to find out which server is causing the issue. I had this errormessage:
Code:
node 'server20': Importing cluster certificate and key
node 'server20': pk12util: PKCS12 IMPORT SUCCESSFUL
pk12util: PKCS12 decode import bags failed: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL: You are attempting to import a cert with the same issuer/serial as an existing cert, but that is not the same cert.
command 'ssh -o 'BatchMode=yes' -lroot 91.XXX.XXX.28 corosync-qdevice-net-certutil -m -c /etc/pve/qdevice-net-node.p12' failed: exit code 19

So I had to find the server with the .28 IP. It was server25 in my case.
The apt purge didn't remove the configs in /etc/corosync/qdevice/net/nssdb/
I deleted the content of that folder. Thereafter adding the qdevice worked just fine. I don't know what the sense of the --force method is if the existing configs aren't overwritten, but I am glad it is working again.

Cheers!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!