Issue on install DRIVER error that Debian report as fixed back in 2008

David Buchanan

Feb 5, 2011
Glasgow, UK
Hi on install I get the following error

Error: Driver pcspkr already registered error with install . . . aborting done!

I then get a screen with cursor top right (Stalled not falshing) PC hangs and from there on is dead till I pull the plug.

Debian have a note of this defect on there bug tracker site from back in 2008 with Lenny 64 but consider it to be resolved please read there info on the link below, it points to a ASUS board P5B I ahve a ASUS P5QL-CM and still get the above error. This is a dam popular board series the P5XXXX. surley there must be a fix? regarding the black listing (see below).:(

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495674&trim=no

AFAIK this is just a kernel warning - that should not break installation.

Yeh I know it's a kernel error it is saying that it has a problem registering a device. It need to register the device in order for the install to use the component properly. I resolved this by taking out an asus PCIE graphics card as the motherboard like most had an inboard video output. I would have prefered to use the PCIE Card as I could off load some CPU load to the GPU. this points to a problem in how the install uses devices that are PCIE based. The other issue quoted on the ASUS forum the guy had a problem with the sound card. Even though there maybe 2 devices with the ability to do the same task. Why can't it resolve automatically or if not prompt installer to use prefered device?

never seen this here.

btw, use server hardware for Proxmox VE and not desktop mainboards.

Please define what you mean as server hardware as this board can take any 775 socket and has raid functions that are hardware based, which I have configured as RAID 1+0! How would this affect the kernel as to my mind any board could be made from this point onward and surely it's the functionality is dependent upon the kernels ability to deal with any hardware return codes? Does anyone agree that this is a kernel issue rather than hardware. If not please explain as I really want to understand this properly??

first, the warning you are talking about is just not related to your issue. must be something different which we never got here. Proxmox VE is intended for the use on server hardware so will get best compatibility and performance if you choose server hardware.

most hardware producer have server product and desktop products - also Asus - just visit their product pages for details.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!