ISO's not appearing when connecting via NFS / Uploaded ISO's appearing in wierd place

v81

Mar 19, 2016
I have proxmox up and running, have managed to get a Debian VM running.

I have ISO's on my nas in a share called images. (/volume1/Images)
When i enter the path to this share in the proxmox storage screen it seems to work ok, but shows no files.
If i upload an ISO the ISO appears on the nas in (/volume1/images/template/iso )
Why cant proxmox see the ISO's in (/volume1/Images), and why are images uploaded to (/volume1/images/template/iso ) rather than the path (/volume1/Images) that was entered in the storage dialogue?

I already have my ISO's stored how i prefer, i'd rather not have to re-arrange everything to suit proxmox.
Is there a way around this?

Hi,
template/iso is the structure for iso-files like dump the structure for backup is.

A way around? Do you know links?? Never tried, but this can work:
Code:
mv /volume1/images/template/iso /volume1/images/template/iso.old; ln -s /volume1/images /volume1/images/template/iso
in one line, because if you take too much time between mv and ln, pve recreate the iso-directory.

Udo

Looks like that command is aimed at moving the ISO dir on the NAS.
The NAS is a Synology appliance, and even though i do have some CLI access to it i'd be nervous that i upset it.

Is there anything i can do on the Proxmox box to have it just see and use the ISO's i have in my /volume1/Images on the NAS?

Storages can hold different kinds of data and by design we put different types of data into different directories, so if you define a directory storage at /a then you'll get vzdump backups in /a/dump, disk images in /a/images/$VMID/$diskname and templates in /a/template, of which there are two kinds: ISOs in /a/template/iso and container archives in /a/template/cache.
We currently do not provide a way to disable this directory structure and therefore also scan only the specific subdirectories corresponding to their type of data.

So ultimately my only solution is to have 2 lots of ISOs on my NAS?
That's just plain stupid.
I'm only new to visualization, but so far ESXi and a couple of others i've tried seem so much more sensible.

Why can't i just point at my ISO's and say "hey proxmox, my ISO's are here"
Then proxmox will say "Ok buddy, no worries, i can see this is where you keep you ISO's, ill offer these to you when you create a new VM and want to install an OS."
Then i say "Thanks proxmox, you're doin a top job!"
And then all is good.

The way you say it is sounds like the Microsoft way, we know what is best and we will keep control from the user.

Reactions: avnkhanh
and why you don't use an link like described before?

"only solution" is just wrong...

Udo

As i said my NAS is a Synology appliance.
Creating a symlink is impossible in the web interface.
I'll need to do some research and see if i can gain root access to the shell on the appliance.

For some whom have a NAS appliance that does not allow the appropriate shell access the symlink option is a no go completely.

Biggest gripe is that i shouldn't need to do this.
I have an NFS share of ISO's that has worked for me with all the VM software I've tried until now.
It's not a good look on Proxmox that something so easy on other packages is not possible on this package.

I can appreciate that if one was to use a single share, and proxmox only then this might work, but that is a specific scenario that makes to many assumptions of the users setup.
Additional as i'm only trying out Proxmox at the moment this kind of thing gives me a bad vibe about what else i might find that doesn't work for me.
A user should be allows some level of configuration.
Not allowing the user to access files in a plainly specified location goes against some simple basics.

I use ISO's on that share for other things too and shouldn't need to change things to suit Proxmox.

I'm trying to provide constructive feedback here, and hope my point of view is valid.

As i said my NAS is a Synology appliance.
Creating a symlink is impossible in the web interface.
I'll need to do some research and see if i can gain root access to the shell on the appliance.

For some whom have a NAS appliance that does not allow the appropriate shell access the symlink option is a no go completely.

Biggest gripe is that i shouldn't need to do this.
I have an NFS share of ISO's that has worked for me with all the VM software I've tried until now.
It's not a good look on Proxmox that something so easy on other packages is not possible on this package.

I can appreciate that if one was to use a single share, and proxmox only then this might work, but that is a specific scenario that makes to many assumptions of the users setup.
Additional as i'm only trying out Proxmox at the moment this kind of thing gives me a bad vibe about what else i might find that doesn't work for me.
A user should be allows some level of configuration.
Not allowing the user to access files in a plainly specified location goes against some simple basics.

I use ISO's on that share for other things too and shouldn't need to change things to suit Proxmox.

I'm trying to provide constructive feedback here, and hope my point of view is valid.
Hi,
I don't wrote form symlinks on the NAS... do this simply on the pve node.

Udo

Hi,
I don't wrote form symlinks on the NAS... do this simply on the pve node.

Udo
I think i almost understand you now.
I'm new to this and virtualisation in general, and not sure exactly what you mean my 'the pve node'

However after pokeing around i see in /mnt/pve the Images share from my nas.
If i were to...
mv /mnt/pve/images/template/iso /mnt/pve/images/template/iso.old; ln -s /mnt/pve/images /mnt/pve/images/template/iso
Is that what you're getting at?
When you referred to /volume1/images/template/iso i thought you were talking about my nas, as i don't see a /volume1 in the root of the proxmox machine.

I'll hold off on executing this for your reply.
I appreciate your patience.

I think i almost understand you now.
I'm new to this and virtualisation in general, and not sure exactly what you mean my 'the pve node'

However after pokeing around i see in /mnt/pve the Images share from my nas.
If i were to...
mv /mnt/pve/images/template/iso /mnt/pve/images/template/iso.old; ln -s /mnt/pve/images /mnt/pve/images/template/iso
Is that what you're getting at?
When you referred to /volume1/images/template/iso i thought you were talking about my nas, as i don't see a /volume1 in the root of the proxmox machine.

I'll hold off on executing this for your reply.
I appreciate your patience.
Hi,
I use /volume1/images because you use this path in your first post (But one time with images and one time with Images - only one version can be right).
Now, it's depends where the iso-files are... if below /mnt/pve/ then you should have /mnt/pve/template/iso - in this case do
Code:
mv /mnt/pve/template/iso /mnt/pve/template/iso.old; ln -s /mnt/pve /mnt/pve/template/iso
Udo

Although this thread is more than two years old, I struggled with the same issue a while. But the solution is extremely simple, you do not have to create symbolic links or do anything else on the command line.

Just create a directory 'template' on your share and within this directory another one called 'iso', so you get a directory structure share/template/iso. Put your ISOs in there.
That's it. As soon as you add this storage in the GUI as storage for ISO images, this folder is scanned and your ISOs are visible.

And, to make it even more comfortable, if you add a share in the GUI as storage for ISO images, this directory structure is created automatically. So you just have to put your ISOs in the right directory. My problem (and maybe that of v81) was that I did not see the automatically created directory 'template' between all my collected ISOs in the share.

Regards,
Axel

Reactions: bvlgy-ple

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!