ISA Device Support in QEMU-KVM machines

Sep 28, 2018
Hello everyone, I have asked around everywhere and googled to infinity, along with testing for the past hour or so.

Is it not possible to add ISA devices such as the Soundblaster 16 into a virtual machine? My virtual machines only seem to accept PCI devices such as

Code:
-device es1370

The command "kvm -soundhw help ?" returns the following:

Code:
Valid sound card names (comma separated):
sb16        Creative Sound Blaster 16
es1370      ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES1370
ac97        Intel 82801AA AC97 Audio
adlib       Yamaha YM3812 (OPL2)
gus         Gravis Ultrasound GF1
cs4231a     CS4231A
hda         Intel HD Audio
pcspk       PC speaker

However if I add anything from that list that normally uses an ISA bus/slot, it just simply doesn't appear in the VM. For example, if I try to use -soundhw sb16 or even specify it manually using -device sb16,iobase=<ioaddr>,irq=<irq>,dma=<dma>,dma16=<dma>, it just doesn't appear. It doesn't give me any errors at all, but the VM can't see it. If I add the ES1370 or the AC97, it's fine, and it can see it.

I'm simply trying to find out if I can passthrough a Windows 2000 machine to a physical graphics card, and have SB16 be emulated inside it via QEMU. This can be done on a regular QEMU running on a workstation, so can someone offer me some advice as to why it's not working here? Lack of support by i440FX or something?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!