Is this the same as esxi?

vm_guy

Apr 16, 2017
I trying to learn linux servers and windows servers

currently i have 4 desktop computers which i am using as servers,

my friend told me about esxi, and he showed me how it works, and i wouldn't have to run 4 desktops,

i would just need 1 server and then run multiple virtual servers, inside,

it would save me from running my 4 desktops all the time, i have websites on them, but they are just for testing purposes,

the problem is i can't install esxi on my desktop server computer, it needs too much ram and the requirements are too high, which sucks because i want to use it just for learning purposes,

is this how proxmox works?

1)install proxmo on server
2) log into the proxmox server from my laptop
3) install and manage my windows, linux virtual servers all from my laptop?

is this how it works??

thanks!

What is your fastest hardware you want to run Proxmox VE on? ESXi is normally also very thin and it should not be problem at all.

You can also run all operating system on your desktop with a desktop virtualiser like VirtualBox or VMware Workstation. Proxmox VE is like ESXi for virtualising server operating systems

i have an old computer that is a 2 core processor, 3.9 gigs of ram and 500gb of hard drive

esxi requires 4 gigs of ram and 2 processors

i am already running VirtualBox but not for web development, since i often have to restrart my computer and i want my websites to be online all the time

i have my main desktop running ubuntu, and running virtual box for windws7

i want to install esxi or proxmox on a different desktop/server, and run all my websites from that server

then to manage it, i would simply connect to it from my main desktop

can any of my old desktops even run proxmox?

i tried to install it and i got:
could not insert kvm_intel, operation not supported
could not insert intel_powerclamp, no such device

i looked at the requirements:

Minimum Hardware (for testing only)
  • CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64)
  • Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard (for KVM Full Virtualization support)
  • Minimum 1 GB RAM
  • Hard drive
  • One NIC

i am just using an older desktop, im guessing i need an actual server to try this?
i have everything except im not sure if i have the intel VT, i don't know what VT is\
i know i have an intel processor

i think it was because i didn't use dd to make the bootable usb,

i tried the iso on virtualbox and it worked, but im having problems with dd copy on the usb, it says it copied but when i open the usb its blank

the guide for installing on usb must be old, since its not working,

i've tired both:

sudo dd if=pro.iso of=/dev/sdi1 bs=4M; sync

and

sudo dd if=pro.iso of=/dev/sdi1 bs=1M

both don't work,

the guide also doesn't tell us what format to format the usb

I couldn't get it to work on my second desktop or an old laptop

here are the errors i received

1-min.png 2-min.png 3-min.png

anyone have any idea?

I couldn't get it to work on my second desktop or an old laptop

here are the errors i received

anyone have any idea?
Hi,
perhaps it's has something to do how the bios access the devices - perhaps you can configure something (ahci,...)
is the bios up-to-date?

Another posibility was an pve-install on top of debian-jessie - but for an pve-beginner it's perhaps not the best idea… otherwise you can only learn.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

About rescources - pve don't need many resources . I have an low-power-cluster at home with two small boxes (1*2GB Ram + 1*4GB Ram) and one "better" server (hp micro server with 8GB Ram - which don't run the whole time). For my home use it's ok.

Udo

Last edited:
i looked in the bios, and i tried 4 other computers but no luck! all the bios are updated,

have no clue why it's not working, maybe the usb formatting is not good,
because when i plug it in , into any computer , it shows 2 usb's plugged in,

anyways, i give up! im not sure what else to do, i will just have to use it from my main computer through virtualbox , thats the only place it works,

a virtual inside a virtual! life is getting complicated!

its working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seems the problem was the image i was using, i was using, the 5.0 beta image,

i changed to the 4.4 image and it installed flawless!

i have it working now, and i playing around with it,

this is great, now i can learn and see what proxmox is all about!

Hi VM Guy, happy to read your thread and that this is working. Proxmox is an amazing tool for learning and test-lab. and also for production VM hosting! :) It can be easily installed to various hardware - if you find you need to stretch out capacity a bit more from your old dual-core rigs; any slightly-newer-standard-box will likely work ~ok. (For example a ~$100 refurb i5 quadcore supporting 16 or 32gig ram - would be a big step up from a core2duo with 4gigs). "Desktop" machines are definitely fine for this kind of test lab use. If you do end up having 'real servers' (ie, web servers you want to stay online all the time). you might benefit from investing in hardware that at least supports raid disk config, to protect yourself from the most common problem (disk fail data all lost have a nice day :) but possibly that is down the road.

Broadly speaking, one of the 'great' things about proxmox, is that unlike ESXI free edition, you are not given a crippled loss-leader version of the product. It is the full-meal-deal, with no missing 'extras' such as live migration, storage migration, HA, cluster/multi-node management; etc etc. So you have a much more robust environment to learn on / and the full feature set is beneficial for when you need to move up to bigger hardware / more serious VM hosting /etc.

Tim

Reactions: vm_guy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!