Is there an easy way to safely "move" a snapshot?

andrewducker

May 17, 2023
Let's say I have a VM that's a clean version of the OS, snapshot with the name "clean". I then patch it with the latest patches. I now want to "move" the "clean" snapshot to point to the patched state.

At the moment the only safe way to do that is to snapshot the patched state with a new name (say "clean2", delete the old snapshot ("clean"), snapshot the current point with "clean", and then delete "clean2". The end result is a single snapshot, at a new location, with the original name.

I can't just delete/recreate because someone else might launch or rollback the VM in the middle of all of that, and I'd lose the existing state, so juggling two snapshots is the only safe way to do it.

What I'd really like to do is be able to "move" a snapshot - i.e. create a new one with an existing name. This would ideally move the old one out of the way and delete it in the background, so that this was an atomic operation.

Is any of that possible?

No, its not possible today. You are free to file an enhancements request if you feel that this functionality is important: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/where-to-post-feature-requests.46317/

In my opinion, you are trying to offload a procedural/organizational challenge to a hypervisor. Deleting/Creating a snapshot should take no more than a few seconds. If you have such administrative concurrency that VMs start/rollback at any time, perhaps you should implement permission restricted resource pools. Move the VM into that pool prior to your patching work and move back when you are done.

The other way is to manually rename the snapshots and adjust the VM configuration accordingly (manually). Should be an easy automation script once you identify all the moving parts. However, there is always a risk in manual behind-the-scene changes.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thank you - that's helpful. I wonder why snapshots are taking much longer to delete than a few seconds. They do create in about 3 seconds, if they deleted that fast I'd be delighted!

I'll look into resource pools - thank you for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!