Is there a way to name backups in pbs instead of ct/100?

uihuizui

Mar 13, 2023
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to give backups more readable names? In deafault the have type/id - thats all.

I know i can use comments but the comment is just visible when i expand a backup by the plus icon. When i do have there many backups, i am searching a while to find the backup i'am locking for:

1680945616239.png

Is there a way to confiugure a speaking name instead of "ct/100" or is it possible to set a comment on the higher level to see it in the unfolded list?

Best Regards

Are you using the latest version of PBS? Since PBS 2.0 you can also add comments to the backup groups, so there could also be a comment showing the container name without clicking the plus-button.
1680956469754.png

In case you are still running PBS 1.X you should consider upgrading, as then you wouldn't be receiving any security patches for nearly a year:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_1.1_to_2.x

Last edited:
I'm on 2.x, in my test i was not able to see the comment. Maybe this is an issue when i add it later to an existing job. I will check this. Thanks!

You can only control the naming of the archiv when u use the "proxmox-backup-client" directly inside a container or vm or on the host. Then u can use the "--backup-id <string>" parameter. PVE uses vzdump and there exist no such parameter. I think this is intentional.

I resolved my confusion and was able to add comments in PBS in the datastore beside the ct.. names. Thanks for clarification!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!