Is there a way to mount a folder from proxmox based filesystem in a container?

Roger Simpson

Jan 1, 2018
Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a way to mount a folder from the proxmox based filesystem in a container?

I currently do that through nullfs mount on a FreeBSD system where I have folder I exposed in the based system to within a jail - similar principle as a container in proxmox.

Has anybody done that? I cannot find a way to do that from the CT creation wizard GUI.

To clarify, if on a proxmox node, I have a ZFS pool named zdata and folder like /zdata/for_my_container, can I create a container and mount the content of for_my_container in that container?
I am sure I can have NFS or CIFS running on proxmox and get it to mount, I was hoping for something closer to my setup with FreeBSD jails and nullfs.

I see the documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_bind_mount_points

Is there way to do that from the GUI?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You cannot, PVE is not a fileserver and therefore has no capability to do that. If you want to do that nonetheless, you have to go to the CLI.
Otherwise, you can create a subvolume then add a mount point for it on the container's ressources page :
5Ehk4F3.png

Is it correct ?

This is possible since quite some time via GUI, see screenshot.

As far I understand him, he is talking about binding a previously created mountpoint/directory somewhere on the disk to the container. The screenshot is for creating a mount and adding that previously created mountpoint to the container. Conceptually two different things.

Reactions: itsmyrun
As far I understand him, he is talking about binding a previously created mountpoint/directory somewhere on the disk to the container. The screenshot is for creating a mount and adding that previously created mountpoint to the container. Conceptually two different things.

Your understanding is correct.
I can see the mount point from the GUI after created from the CLI but it does not seem to be feasible from the GUI.
I will look into the Proxmox API to see if I can create manage this settings.

Thank you all for all the answers and guidance - much appreciated

It's secure to mount the proxmox dump folder? I want to automatically save backup files from proxmox running Syncthink inside the container.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!