Is there a way to let Proxmox VE dynamically change its IP address following routers' DHCP?

prolab

Aug 11, 2020
I'm switching from an old router to a new router that my Proxmox VE connected to. The old router's base address is 192.168.123.x while the new router's is 192.168.1.x.
After changed the router, my Proxmox VE can't be accessed. I googled a while and found the following solution.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/help-with-changing-ip-address-reinstalling.55421/

This works but the problem is it's not convenient. During the test period I still need to change between the old router and the new one a few times. So is there a way to let Proxmox VE automatically get IP address from the router's DHCP?

Any reason to not switch the DHCP range on the router?
I know it some what's defeats the purpose of DHCP but might be the easiest fix.
I wouldn't use DHCP for server systems per se...

Any reason to not switch the DHCP range on the router?
I know it some what's defeats the purpose of DHCP but might be the easiest fix.
I wouldn't use DHCP for server systems per se...
Thank you for the reply. I'm now still playing around with the router trying everything and resetting to defaults. Yes the router's DHCP range should be changed in final version of config, but now it's just one more step from the default's config...
Just curious, why you wouldn't use DHCP for server systems?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!