Is there a reason to limit the number of monitors? ( unable to find usable monitor id )

ravib123

Nov 27, 2012
United States
deusmachine.com
I was trying to get some OSDs to appear and running into a problem getting a monitor running on each node in a hyper converged ceph environment with 8 nodes.

I was looking for the error unable to find usable monitor id quite a bit and hitting some walls with my results so I looked at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Ceph.pm

I noticed the below lines and change the 7 to an 8 so I could add a monitor to the last node.

I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause problems down the road?

my $monid;

for (my $i = 0; $i < 7; $i++) {

if (!$cfg->{"mon.$i"}) {

$monid = $i;

last;

}

}

die "unable to find usable monitor id\n" if !defined($monid);

You should keep the mounter count to an un-even number. CEPH suggest only 3 unless you have a huge enviornment.

So your current amount of MON's is much higher than the recommend

You just need to run
pveceph init on a node you wish to use without a MON installed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!