Is there a guide for implementing ISCSI Live Migration on the 2.1?

javster805

Jul 1, 2012
I'd really love to take advantage of live migration and I have a cheap ISCSI device I can use to test this configuration however ever time I mount the ISCSI volume on my promox server and them create an LVM group over it all I can seem store on that LVM volume is "Images". I found the following guide (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model) on how to configure this setup but this guide seems to be for the previous versions of Proxmox. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals

Hi,

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_with_Network_Backing pretty much still says it. You add the Iscsi LUN, then create the LVM on it.
VM disks are then created inside as lvm partition. This then allows you to move kvm guests around a cluster live.
From my understanding, since this is working on block level and not file system, you can only store images on it (not backups/isos) and do not see it mounted on the console.
Irritated me as well at first, but seems normal and logical.

Hope that helps.
What PVE misses is a decent documentation, sadly...

I did some experimenting yesterday with live migration of KVM guests on a 4-node Proxmox 2.1 cluster that shares an NFS volume. With Proxmox 1.9, live migration worked the way I'd expect - a 'migration tunnel' was opened, and after a minute or two the guest was running on the other node. With Proxmox 2.1, live migration works, but it first rsyncs a copy of the disk image to the new server, then opens a migration tunnel, and when it's done the migration is successful and it's still using the disk image on the NFS volume, but there's an extra copy of the image on the prox server that the guest is now running on. If I live migrate to another server, same thing happens, and I wind up now with 2 extra images. This works except a) it's slow because it has to copy the disk image first, b) it won't work if the disk image won't fit on the server I'm migrating to, c) it leaves the extra copies. Maybe this is a documentation issue (i.e. I'm missing something) but it seems broken.

Ah OK that makes sense. So I think the part I am missing is how to create the VM disk inside the LVM partition. When I go to create a new VM I don't see my newly created LVM in the storage drop down menu. Also Sorry for all my n00bness I love proxmox as a solution and if I can get this live migration configuration in place it would be an even greater solution for me. Thanks again.

I did some experimenting yesterday with live migration of KVM guests on a 4-node Proxmox 2.1 cluster that shares an NFS volume. With Proxmox 1.9, live migration worked the way I'd expect - a 'migration tunnel' was opened, and after a minute or two the guest was running on the other node. With Proxmox 2.1, live migration works, but it first rsyncs a copy of the disk image to the new server, then opens a migration tunnel, and when it's done the migration is successful and it's still using the disk image on the NFS volume, but there's an extra copy of the image on the prox server that the guest is now running on. If I live migrate to another server, same thing happens, and I wind up now with 2 extra images. This works except a) it's slow because it has to copy the disk image first, b) it won't work if the disk image won't fit on the server I'm migrating to, c) it leaves the extra copies. Maybe this is a documentation issue (i.e. I'm missing something) but it seems broken.

Hi,
I guessed you forget to mark the "shared" field for the storage. Without shared, pve must copy the image-data to the local storage on the other node!

Udo

Just checked, and there's no check-box for shared when NFS is selected. I see it for the other modes but it isn't an option for this share.

I selected 'all' when I set it up. This is odd - I'll experiment a bit and set up a 2nd NFS share and see what happens with that one when I try live migration.

Can any one please assist me with figuring out how to create the VM disk inside the LVM partition?

Per Proxman "
You add the Iscsi LUN, then create the LVM on it.
VM disks are then created inside as lvm partition."

So far I have added the ISCSI Lun and I also created the LVM on it. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to create a VM disk inside the LVM partition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks forum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!