[SOLVED] Is it safe to format a potential ESP with FS type zfs_member? (Proxmox Boot Tool)

bootsie123

Dec 29, 2018
Hi everyone! Another post in the saga of upgrading my Proxmox node from PVE 6 to 7. This time I'm trying to switch my legacy boot system to the Proxmox Boot Tool. For reference I've been following this guide on the wiki and am currently using RAID-Z1 with two disks.

When I run lsblk to find potential ESPs I notice I have two 512M partitions. However, instead of not having a filesystem type I see the type is zfs_member.

Code:
root@vmworld:~# lsblk -o +FSTYPE
NAME      MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE
sda         8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk            zfs_member
├─sda1      8:1    0  1007K  0 part            zfs_member
├─sda2      8:2    0   512M  0 part            zfs_member
└─sda3      8:3    0   931G  0 part            zfs_member
sdb         8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk            zfs_member
├─sdb1      8:17   0  1007K  0 part            zfs_member
├─sdb2      8:18   0   512M  0 part            zfs_member
└─sdb3      8:19   0   931G  0 part            zfs_member

In this case, would it be safe to reformat these partitions to use them as an ESP? I haven't manually modified anything partition wise so I'm unsure as to what these are being used for. I'm assuming because of the size they're being used for booting as of right now? Any help would be appreciated (just want a sanity check before I potentially break anything). Thanks!

When I run lsblk to find potential ESPs I notice I have two 512M partitions. However, instead of not having a filesystem type I see the type is zfs_member.
If I remember correctly this is quite usual if the partition is not in use at all.

In any case - make sure to have a recent, working and tested backup - as all these procedures do delete data, and a mistake in the commands issued can destroy relevant data.

apart from that I'd say:
In this case, would it be safe to reformat these partitions to use them as an ESP? I haven't manually modified anything partition wise
Yes - it should work

Reactions: bootsie123
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Everything appears to be working! Thanks for the help again!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!