is it safe to disable atime enable relatime for all datastores with qcow2/raw/vmdk/vzdump files ?

Hi, I was wondering too as I saw some scattered discussions on using atime and relatime on zfs datasets. And I assumed this thread is about zfs as your linked post is about zfs datasets ;).

My pve host (pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a) was installed prior to pve 7.x and zfs rpool dataset has defaults from install time:
relatime=off, atime=off
The other pools were created manually via cli, they got other defaults (from zfs I assume):
relatime=off, atime=on

There is this commit for the pve installer:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-installer.git;a=commit;h=9bc6376d6aab098134c0dec3ca6567dfb964267d
zfs create: default to relatime
like other FSs do already.
So I did a test install from latest proxmox-ve_7.4-1.iso and installed it with root on a zfs mirror pool via the guided setup.
It end up with zfs rpool dataset:
relatime=on, atime=on
So, I think this would answer your question I guess, as the default pve install has these settings.
Manually created zfs pools still default to relatime=off, atime=on.

Maybe proxmox staff could advise what defaults currently should be used (for all pools) and/or maybe hint for that in the admin docs.

Reactions: RolandK
yeah, PVE itself doesn't really care about atime anywhere (important) AFAIK.

Reactions: janssensm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!