is it possible to set up proxmox via phone hotspot?

alireza_j

Nov 1, 2023
hello fellows, I'm so new to this community, so sorry for some beginner/noob activities <3
I'm so interested in home labs and bc of it for both fun and gaining experiments I'm trying to install proxmox on my old laptop until the time that I manage to get my hands on a workstation and real-world use case.
Long story short, I use my phone hotspot as my entire internet source for all devices. by watching some tutorials I realized that Proxmox doesn't support DHCP and I don't have a static IP either.

I just want to know if it is possible to use wifi on proxmox or if somehow I could configure using a hotspot through USB? if there is, how?

edit: I just realized that kinda it's not possible to use phone hotspot directly.

I'm now trying to access it through my other laptop by sharing Wi-Fi internet through Ethernet. the only problem now is it's not working and have no idea why​

the method I tried to use is kinda like this video, I shared wifi to my ethernet port, and reinstalled proxmox by giving the right gateway and DNS to it, but still can't even ping to my laptop

I know this could be possible to somehow use my other laptop to make a virtual network and share the internet. but I'd much rather to let my phone act as a router and be able to, for example, use my tablet to access the web panel. also be able to update packages through my old laptop.
thanks for your guidance and time. <3

the laptop I'm trying to set it up on is:
HP Zbook 15 mobile
i7 4800mq
12 GB DDr3 memory
120 GB SSD drive

Last edited:
In the end Proxmox is just a Debian 12 with a custom kernel. All the usual wireless and USB driver modules are still included.

You may want to replace the static network configuration with NetworkManager, but then you cannot use the Proxmox GUI for this any more.

In the end Proxmox is just a Debian 12 with a custom kernel. All the usual wireless and USB driver modules are still included.

You may want to replace the static network configuration with NetworkManager, but then you cannot use the Proxmox GUI for this any more.
hello there, thanks for your time and response.

there are some issues, during installation, I just entered some random IP, gateway and DNS for it (based on my other laptop DHCP IP ofc ) because I had no idea what to put.
now as you said I tried to manually work with NetworkManager, what exactly should I do to make it work regularly and be able to connect to it through my phone's internet?
I tried using this link but unfortunately, I can't understand a word...

update: I gave up on using phone directly, so:

I'm now trying to access it through my other laptop by sharing Wi-Fi internet through Ethernet. the only problem now is it's not working and have no idea why​

the method I tried to use is kinda like this video, I shared wifi to my ethernet port, and reinstalled proxmox by giving the right gateway and DNS to it, but still can't even ping my laptop

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!