Is it OK to rename running VMs?

unleeshop

Jul 21, 2009
Minor question: Just this morning I finally spotted that I made a typo when naming one of my production VMs running under PVE, i.e. it got named "ee-dept.un.ledu" instead of "ee-dept.unl.edu". I can see that the PVE web client will *let* me simply rename it, and I believe the title is just arbitrary (i.e., the actual network name of the VM is set by our local network and configuration within the VM.) BUT, since this is a running production VM, just wanted to check whether this is safe to change in real time while it is running.

KVM: no problem, just rename
OpenVZ: a bit more problematic as the name on the web interface is also the name inside the container - so you need the review the services (after restart of the container) inside the container.

Thanks ... it is a KVM, I was *pretty* sure the name PVE gives it didn't affect anything "inside".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!