Is DRBD9 production ready?

Oct 28, 2013
www.nadaka.de
Hi everybody,

when I take a look at Linbit's website I get the impression of a finally released stable piece of software, which is of course production ready: http://www.linbit.com/en/p/products/drbd9
But when I'm cruising through several forums, blogs, etc. I sometimes read that it's not really production ready yet. The Proxmox team says that the DRBD9 integration is a technology preview. So my questions are:

1. What is the official development status of DRBD9 an where can I read about it?
2. Is there a roadmap or just plans how the integration into Proxmox VE 4.x will continue?

Thanks a lot and many greets
Stephan

The simple plan is a stable system. But so far DRBD9 does not deliver the needed stability, therefore its "technology preview" in Proxmox VE.

I made some test with 2 cluster, drbd on 2 and on 3 nodes, lvm plugin (thick)
I think it's quite stable, the only trouble I had, was resizing volumes.
With drbd 9.0.3 and drbdmanage 0.97, developers should have solved these issues and hope that proxmox team will implement shortly it in the GUI.
So I'm optimistic with this new version, just added to pve test and pve no subscription.
I want to test it again :)
Only a recommendation: don't do any configuration change with drbdadm. Only use drbdmanage. If the option is not supported or not ready, don't do it!

drbd 9.0.3 and drbdmanage 0.97 are already available in our pve-no-subscription repo.

@tom: Yes, I know -- I should have asked differently :) Any schedule for when DRBD9 will be considered production-ready by proxmox (and/or linbit)?

The schedule from Linbit was June 2015, unfortunately there seems to be a delay on their side. But better ask Linbit, the creators of DRBD9.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!