Is anybody who succeeded GPU passthrough (NVIDIA) with Windows 7 ?

You'll have to wait till me and my friend have some free time to finish our sub-project for Proxmox :) We have solved this particular issue (along with original issue with Win7 + GPU), and it is working at my home server. We just don't have time right now to finalize and publish stuff, so hang tight for a bit longer.

I'm passing my built-in USB controller just fine (which is driven by xhci_hcd), but I had to build a custom kernel to make it happen.

You'll have to wait till me and my friend have some free time to finish our sub-project for Proxmox :) We have solved this particular issue (along with original issue with Win7 + GPU), and it is working at my home server. We just don't have time right now to finalize and publish stuff, so hang tight for a bit longer.

I'm passing my built-in USB controller just fine (which is driven by xhci_hcd), but I had to build a custom kernel to make it happen.

Which version of Proxmox VE do you use for this particular configuration? I tried with 5.2 release to passthrough a NV K4000 GPU, booting with windows 7 Pro SP1 ISO, stuck at "Starting Windows" screen with infinite loop of the windows logo animation.

I'm running 5.2-2 (according to pveversion) plus manually built kernel 4.15.18 that enables passing USB controllers through.

What you're describing looks to me like Windows cannot start NVidia driver, I saw this during my tryouts a lot before I was able to fix my "error 12".

I suggest you first remove "x-vga=on" from video card passthrough and have a look using Proxmox virtual screen - look in "Device Manager" and see if there are some errors for your video card.

First you must use OMVF (UEFI) BIOS for the win7 vm. Second, edit the "xxx.conf" from the vm manually and not with the webgui.
agent: 1
args: -cpu Skylake-Client,kvm=off -no-hpet -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x10.0,multifunction=on -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,id=hostpci0.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x10.1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 8
cpu: Skylake-Client
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-200-disk-2,size=128K
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: BLABLA
net0: virtio=12:6A:23:22:3F:8B,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win7
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=a7d9be4d-014c-476f-b42f-ab7bc1738471
sockets: 1
usb0: host=1-2
usb1: host=2-2
vga: none
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-200-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=32G

If you use a consumer card, you must add additional options (error 43) to the args line.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!