Is a Discard/Trim Issued When Removing an LV from a ThinPool?

May 18, 2019
Varies
On PVE 8.1, I have a thin pool on NVME with a few containers.

I deleted one of the containers (via GUI) and now I am not sure if the space used by the LV was discarded/trimmed. I can't issue an `fstrim`, unless it is against a directory, nor I can issue a `pct fstrim` against the CT because it's been deleted.

lvm.conf is default:
Code:
issue_discards = 0
thin_pool_discards = "passdown"
thin_disabled_features = [ "discards", "block_size" ]

I'm suspecting the trim wasn't issued bc of degraded performance on the NVME (all is fine according to smartctl), as I deleted the CT exactly bc the thin pool filled up.

Does `lvremove` issued by pve handle discarding/trimming? If not, what is the solution to trim the unused space in the thin pool?

Does `lvremove` issued by pve handle discarding/trimming? If not, what is the solution to trim the unused space in the thin pool?
I'd be interested to know this as well. I have a LVM storage backed by an iSCSI LUN on a Synology target that supports space reclamation and I don't see any evidence that deletions are being passed.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know this as well. I have a LVM storage backed by an iSCSI LUN on a Synology target that supports space reclamation and I don't see any evidence that deletions are being passed.
QEMU VMs I've seen a commit which does just that. For LXC CTs, one day we will get a reply.

I'm kind of wondering why issue_discards = 0 by default. The documentation (in the comments in lvm.conf) doesn't say what the states are, but my assumption would be that this means that lvremove would NOT issue a discard for the removed volume's blocks, which is what I think I'm seeing.

I'd be a bit nervous about just changing this to see what happened, though.

I'm kind of wondering why issue_discards = 0 by default. The documentation (in the comments in lvm.conf) doesn't say what the states are, but my assumption would be that this means that lvremove would NOT issue a discard for the removed volume's blocks, which is what I think I'm seeing.

I'd be a bit nervous about just changing this to see what happened, though.
Discarding is differing from trimming. I don't think discards=0 is related, and in fact discarding is very rarely recommended, but trimming nearly always recommended.

I guess I don't really understand the terminology being used: "trim", "discard" and "unmap" all seem to be used semi-interchangeably.

In my case, I'm expecting SCSI "unmap" operations to be sent over iSCSI for a LUN region when a logical volume is deleted at the Proxmox level, and I don't think that's happening. It seems like the documentation is saying that this is controlled by issue_discards in lvm.conf, but for some reason that's not set by default.

There's another layer, in a logical volume that's mapped as a VM or container disk, where you can say "discard" and that results in a lot of traffic when individual files are deleted by the guest because it's sending individual trim/unmap operations for every file operaion; I'm not looking at that for now but it seems reasonable that should be disabled and performed by periodic "fstrim" operations to batch up the trim/unmap operations sent to the underlying storage. In any case, though, that by definition isn't going to affect lvremove operations performed by the host.

Does that sound right?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!