IPv6 SLAAC and/or DHCPv6 for PVE internal interfaces

pocok

Dec 6, 2019
Hello,

My current host configuration consists of OVS Bridges and IntPorts. One of the IntPorts is the "main" one with a default gateway and static IPv4 address set up. The PVE host is behind a router. My ISP is dual-stack, it also provides a IPv6 /64 CIDR using DHCPv6, which my router happily advertises to my other hosts in the network, including to also to the VMs/LXCs on the Proxmox hosts itself (static v4 adresses and SLAAC for v6, all set from the PVE GUI).

The PVE host itself (OVS IntPort) does not have a global IPv6 adress (apart from the link-local one). As I don't want to mess about with statically assigning IPv6 adresses, it is possible/advisable to configure the PVE interfaces to automatically get a delegated IPv6 address as well?

I was thinking something like adding "iface eth22 inet6 auto" below the directives in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth22
iface eth22 inet static
address 172.21.100.1/24
gateway 172.21.100.254
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=100

iface eth22 inet6 auto

As I read the disclaimer in the comment of the interfaces file, it is not advised to modify this file directly, perhaps placing the custom config under ./interfaces.d/ (?). Will this configuration work? If the inet6 line contains "auto", and there should be additional parameters for ovs_options too added (as for the static config)?

Thank You,

Last edited:
Have you already been able to solve this?

As I read the disclaimer in the comment of the interfaces file, it is not advised to modify this file directly,
If you know what you're doing it's not a problem. But copying the file as backup prior to modifying it would be a good idea.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!