IPv6 Not working on new Proxmox VE installation

webtelza

Jun 18, 2024
Hello

I am moving VPS's from Virtualizor to Proxmox. On Virutalizor, IPv6 was working perfectly with IPV6. Unfortunately with Proxmox IPv6 is not working on the VPS's
The router in the DC is a Mikrotik with IP 2c0f:eb89:1::1/64 assigned to the interface that connects to Proxmox. VPS's have gateway set to 2c0f:eb89:1::1 (so I might need to change that).

I use routed networking so eno2np1 is not bridge on vmbr1. IPv4 works perfectly for VPS's which use vmbr1

I have tried the following setup to get Ipv6 working

On vmbr1 I set IPv6 address to 2c0f:eb89:1::1/64 and gateway to 2c0f:eb89:1::1
VPS's then have gateway changed to 2c0f:eb89:1::2
Mikrotik router cannot ping 2c0f:eb89:1::2 or the VPS address

I then try the following where I set et IPv6 address to 2c0f:eb89:1::2/64 and gateway to 2c0f:eb89:1::1 on eno2np1 and give vmbr1 IP 2c0f:eb89:1::3/64
VPS's then have gateway changed to 2c0f:eb89:1::3
Mikrotik router cannot ping 2c0f:eb89:1::3 or the VPS address but can ping 2c0f:eb89:1::2

Is there something that I am forgetting?

You try to use the Proxmox node as router:

But then you use the same IPv6 network for the connection between Proxmox and the Microtik device and between Proxmox and the VMs.
How would that work?

You need to assign a different IPv6 network to vmbr1 and the VMs or use bridged networking.
Thanx so much. Issue is resolved now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!